- We now probably know the final runtime for ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Monday 11:06 PM
- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
Chris Christie says Donald Trump forced him to eat meatloaf at the White House
Unsurprisingly, the internet loved this scenario.
Meatloaf is the dinner of the 1960s blue-collar family, the kind of meal a man or woman can scarf down before they head off to bowling league and, then, the bar afterward where they could smoke a cheap cigar and drink Schlitz off the tap.
Meatloaf—with its ground chuck, its breadcrumbs, its peppers, and its ketchup—is also totally delicious, which is probably why President Donald Trump loves it. Loves it so much that he forced New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie to eat it this week at the White House on Valentine’s Day.
Trump apparently allowed everybody at the dinner party to order whatever they wanted from the White House kitchen. But not Christie, everybody’s favorite pre-election Trump gofer. Nope, Trump said Christie must have the meatloaf. So, Christie ate the meatloaf.
And goddamn it, he must have loved it, because meatloaf brings some of us back to a time when America was great.
“This is what it’s like to be with Trump,” Christie said, via the New York Daily News. “He says, ‘There’s the menu, you guys order whatever you want.’ And then he says, ‘Chris, you and I are going to have the meatloaf.'”
That decree came because Christie said Trump told him that the meatloaf is fabulous. Trump, though, seems to think all meatloaf is fabulous. He’s ordered it at steakhouses that didn’t actually have it on the menu, and he’s made it with Martha Stewart for TV audiences who dire need of entertainment.
But maybe not everybody loves meatloaf as much as Trump, so it seems kind of sadistic for the president to make Christie eat it (though, to be fair, Trump usually trends toward sadistic when Christie is somewhere nearby). Either way, the internet found it hilarious.
@TheRickWilson Wait until next week when Meatloaf is a guest at the White House and Trump makes him eat Chris Christie.
— Harry Henderson (@Sasquatch_Harry) February 17, 2017
Meatloaf might be the perfect meal for the voter who wants Trump to turn this country around and make it the way it used to be. Meatloaf is powerful and meatloaf is tasty, but meatloaf by itself probably can’t make America great again. Still, don’t be disappointed. After all, two out of three ain’t bad.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.