- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free 6 Years Ago
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘How High 2’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My ex-BFF keeps sliding into my DMs, but I don’t want to be friends Today 6:30 AM
- Watch ‘I Am Somebody’s Child: The Regina Louise Story’ for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Real Sociedad for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 149 for free Today 5:30 AM
- PDF Association dunks on Mueller report PDF Friday 7:33 PM
- Robert Downey Jr. says ‘Endgame’ finale is ‘best 8 minutes’ of any MCU film Friday 4:42 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls on Congress to impeach Trump Friday 3:43 PM
- BlackBerry Messenger is still a thing—but not for much longer Friday 2:56 PM
- Matt Gaetz hires speechwriter fired by White House for attending white nationalist event Friday 1:33 PM
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter Friday 12:14 PM
- Trump is already running Facebook ads on the Mueller report Friday 12:07 PM
- 20 thoughtful gifts grads actually want Friday 12:00 PM
China’s “People’s Daily” admits it fell for “Onion” satire
The state-run paper has retracted its report that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was named “Sexiest Man Alive.”
The state-run Chinese news organization that fell for The Onion’s satirical report calling North Korea’s Kim Jong-un the “sexiest man alive” has finally gotten the joke.
People’s Daily Online has taken down its story that gave credence to The Onion’s report calling the 29-year-old leader “devastatingly handsome.”
“We have realized it is satirical,” a People’s Daily Online editor in South Korea told the Associated Press.
The flub made by the People’s Daily Online grabbed international headlines from the likes of the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, and on the social news site Reddit, where users laughed out loud.
“This is impossible to make up,” TheMadmanAndre commented. “Seriously, how do national media outlets still make the mistake of taking the Onion seriously?”
While Kim will likely never be officially crowned the “sexiest man alive,” he is in second place for Time Magazine’s Person of the Year.
After Time opened the polls Monday, 4chan’s /b/ —a random forum where people regularly post violent and sexual content—encouraged people to vote for Kim, who they have dubbed their “glorious leader.”
4chan pulled off a similar feat in 2009 when it successfully helped its creator, Christopher “moot” Poole, top Time’s prestigious list.
Photo by AK Rockefeller/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.