- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
China’s “People’s Daily” admits it fell for “Onion” satire
The state-run paper has retracted its report that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was named “Sexiest Man Alive.”
The state-run Chinese news organization that fell for The Onion’s satirical report calling North Korea’s Kim Jong-un the “sexiest man alive” has finally gotten the joke.
People’s Daily Online has taken down its story that gave credence to The Onion’s report calling the 29-year-old leader “devastatingly handsome.”
“We have realized it is satirical,” a People’s Daily Online editor in South Korea told the Associated Press.
The flub made by the People’s Daily Online grabbed international headlines from the likes of the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, and on the social news site Reddit, where users laughed out loud.
“This is impossible to make up,” TheMadmanAndre commented. “Seriously, how do national media outlets still make the mistake of taking the Onion seriously?”
While Kim will likely never be officially crowned the “sexiest man alive,” he is in second place for Time Magazine’s Person of the Year.
After Time opened the polls Monday, 4chan’s /b/ —a random forum where people regularly post violent and sexual content—encouraged people to vote for Kim, who they have dubbed their “glorious leader.”
4chan pulled off a similar feat in 2009 when it successfully helped its creator, Christopher “moot” Poole, top Time’s prestigious list.
Photo by AK Rockefeller/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.