- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors 7 Years Ago
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner 7 Years Ago
- Reddit users share stories of the worst things guests have done in their homes Today 1:25 PM
- WikiLeaks lawyer says Trump offered Assange a pardon—if he’d deny Russian hack Today 1:16 PM
- 6-year-old placed in psychiatric facility for ‘trantrum’ is seen acting calm in body cam footage Today 1:05 PM
- Amy Klobuchar devouring Ivanka Trump is the 2020 vore crossover no one wanted Today 12:32 PM
- Review: Hulu’s ‘Devs’ is a brilliant work of near-future science fiction Today 11:53 AM
- Rapper Pop Smoke dead at 20 Today 11:42 AM
- KSI says he will back Team YouTube if Logan Paul fights Antonio Brown Today 11:29 AM
- William Barr questions whether tech companies should be protected for user content Today 11:10 AM
- The Bloomberg campaign has reached its post-parody zenith Today 10:35 AM
- Ben Affleck explains why he lied about his back tattoo Today 10:28 AM
- Kim Kardashian West accidentally praises Jeff Bezos for threatening to fire employees Today 10:19 AM
- Young Thug blasted for intentionally misgendering Dwayne Wade’s daughter Today 10:17 AM
- Is the Lovers and Friends festival a Fyre fiasco waiting to happen? Today 10:16 AM
China’s “People’s Daily” admits it fell for “Onion” satire
The state-run paper has retracted its report that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was named “Sexiest Man Alive.”
The state-run Chinese news organization that fell for The Onion’s satirical report calling North Korea’s Kim Jong-un the “sexiest man alive” has finally gotten the joke.
People’s Daily Online has taken down its story that gave credence to The Onion’s report calling the 29-year-old leader “devastatingly handsome.”
“We have realized it is satirical,” a People’s Daily Online editor in South Korea told the Associated Press.
The flub made by the People’s Daily Online grabbed international headlines from the likes of the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, and on the social news site Reddit, where users laughed out loud.
“This is impossible to make up,” TheMadmanAndre commented. “Seriously, how do national media outlets still make the mistake of taking the Onion seriously?”
While Kim will likely never be officially crowned the “sexiest man alive,” he is in second place for Time Magazine’s Person of the Year.
After Time opened the polls Monday, 4chan’s /b/ —a random forum where people regularly post violent and sexual content—encouraged people to vote for Kim, who they have dubbed their “glorious leader.”
4chan pulled off a similar feat in 2009 when it successfully helped its creator, Christopher “moot” Poole, top Time’s prestigious list.
Photo by AK Rockefeller/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.