Steven Spielberg says he wants nothing to do with Carl’s Jr. ‘SpielBurgers’

Is he trolling?

Mar 28, 2018, 2:39 am

Internet Culture

Kris Seavers 

Kris Seavers

Steven Spielburg addressed Carl's Jr. 'spielburgers' in a selfie video, insisting the fast food company 'cease and desist.'

@AmblinEnt/Twitter

Carl’s Jr. announced Monday it would be changing the name of its $1 Charbroiled Burgers to SpielBurgers in anticipation of Steven Spielberg’s coming film Ready Player OneBut the prolific film director isn’t having it (or so he says).

Spielberg tweeted a selfie video via Amblin Entertainment on Tuesday with his “official statement.”

“They’re pretty good, but I’m passing,” Spielberg said about the SpielBurgers. “Cease and desist, you can’t do it, sorry guys.”

https://twitter.com/AmblinEnt/status/978732170788286464

With his response, the SpielBurger plot thickens.

Following the video, people on Twitter rolled in the rhetorical response wagon with other ideas for products incorporating Spielbergisms.

https://twitter.com/Nixamus/status/978745408188010498

Some had advice for Carl’s Jr. Why not just call the burger Señor Spielbergo, of Simpsons fame?  

https://twitter.com/lepixmapictures/status/978750736472387584

People also said they were impressed with Spielberg’s command of the selfie video–but, duh? He’s won three Oscars for filmmaking.

The question is, what’s Carl’s Jr.’s move now? USA Today reported earlier this week that the fast food chain has a licensing agreement with Ready Player One. So the director could just be trolling to play the PR game.

Maybe Spielberg just wanted an excuse to show off his very, very long hallway.

But if Carl’s Jr. really has to rescind its menu change, here’s the second-best option.

Share this article
*First Published: Mar 28, 2018, 2:39 am