- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
Twitter users are photoshopping their cats into the ‘Captain Marvel’ poster
Marvel fans have been waiting for Captain Marvel, the latest installment in the series, for months. But the breakout star has been Carol Danvers’ furry friend, Goose. Notice we didn’t say “cat,” but we’ll leave out any spoilers here.
Goose has become a surprise star, even managing to have his own movie poster and of course, walk the red carpet at the film’s premiere.
The excitement over Captain Marvel’s pet in the movie has apparently translated well. When the film debuted in South Korea, South Korean fans began photoshopping their cats into the poster, using the hashtag, “
The results: amazing.
— 🌟caroline danvers🌟 (@kewlwick) March 9, 2019
— Mischief Maker for Loki☀️ (@moira_hawthorne) March 9, 2019
— JMV (@Its_JMV_Bro) March 9, 2019
— Bulbdog (@bulbdog_) March 9, 2019
— 🐻🍂🌌🔮🏳️🌈 (@tedwardjams) March 9, 2019
— Zak Kinsella ECCC/EE-9 (@ZakKinsella) March 9, 2019
Power of cat. pic.twitter.com/S2SqxE2qGr
— ﾌｴ (@PAO_HUE) March 9, 2019
— Michael (@scottgoblue314) March 9, 2019
Parodies of the hashtag, which appears to have started on March 8, have started to surface too.
— The Lightning Thief Musical is in Detroit (@LTMusical) March 9, 2019
— 눅쓰 (@Nuxtyle) March 9, 2019
— 김고롱 더 모란앵 (@GRthelittledino) March 9, 2019
The cat in the film is actually played by four different cats named Reggie, Archie, Rizzo, and Gonzo.
Turns out the film’s human star, Brie Larson, is totally allergic to cats. “I swell up. I can’t breathe. It’s bad. I’ve been allergy tested and the doctor was like, ‘oh, that’s the worst I’ve ever seen for cats. It’s pretty bad,'” Larson told ABC. So whenever you see Captain Marvel holding Goose, it’s most likely CGI or a puppet, according to Entertainment Weekly.
- Bongo Cat proves that the internet still loves cats
- Sonic the Hedgehog live-action memes are so hot right now
- Is ‘Captain Marvel’ military propaganda?
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is a totally average Marvel movie—and that’s OK
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.