- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Today 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Today 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Today 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Today 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Today 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Today 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Today 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Today 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Today 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Today 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Today 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Today 10:43 AM
- Steve King says backlash to white nationalism comment was like what Jesus went through Today 10:23 AM
- Netflix movies are still eligible for Oscars, Academy rules Today 10:21 AM
- Sheriff’s deputy makes homophobic comments on Facebook after gay teen’s suicide Today 10:02 AM
Elen Nivrae/Flickr (CC-BY)
Ben Affleck is probably done with the internet, but the internet is not done with him. Days after photos emerged of the actor hanging out on a Hawaii beach with his Triple Frontier co-stars, people are still talking about that weird back tattoo.
The Daily Show host Trevor Noah even asked Affleck’s longtime friend Matt Damon about the tattoo on Wednesday. Damon said he had seen the tattoo in real life, basically confirming that the tattoo is real. Damon also defended Affleck’s decision.
“I don’t believe a friend would allow a friend to get a back tattoo of a colorful dragon,” Noah told Damon.
“It’s not one man’s job to tell another what he can do to his back,” Damon replied. “I support him in all of his artistic expressions.”
If you’re still catching up, Affleck got the colorful tattoo, which appears to show a phoenix rising out of the ashes, more than two years ago. But he claimed that it was “fake for a movie” in an interview with Mario Lopez in 2016. Since it’s 2018, and he still has the tattoo, we’re assuming that it’s very real.
The back tat has become one of the internet’s favorite memes this week.
Ben Affleck’s back tattoo looks like it was ALSO directed by Zack Snyder pic.twitter.com/Nz3wK0bNZ7
— Chase Mitchell (@ChaseMit) March 19, 2018
The most popular paparazzi photo from the beach day (shown in the tweet above) shows the tattoo in full detail. Another photo being widely shared captures Affleck staring at the ocean and apparently contemplating something.
“This is the most Big Mood picture ever taken,” writer Jason Concepcion declared, referencing another popular meme.
This is the most Big Mood picture ever taken pic.twitter.com/dmapXNiTse
— ☕netw3rk (@netw3rk) March 22, 2018
People seemed to relate to the Big Mood that Affleck is projecting.
When you get out of the shower and stare at your closet for half an hour trying to figure out what to wear https://t.co/5LXBrNF34J
— shamblebot (@shamblebot) March 22, 2018
me after the thirst trap I posted didn’t work https://t.co/0M0hDorMhf
— Holly (@apawcalypsemeow) March 22, 2018
this is my new favorite picture on the internet https://t.co/9VyS9RpD5b
— Ebo Amissah Aggrey (@Ebo_AA) March 22, 2018
just out of the shower 7am on a monday morning https://t.co/cqX1D9STBS
— dan (@DannyAston1) March 22, 2018
Naturally, there were also several Batman references.
He's officially living The Dark Knight Returns https://t.co/ViIiC5zqYH
— Billy Gomila (@ATVS_ChefBilly) March 22, 2018
Not the Batman we need . . . but, probably the Batman we deserve. https://t.co/vS4Zubr53C
— M. Galaxy Parker (@BirminghamBuskr) March 22, 2018
And nods to his other film roles.
and the wind, it whispers, "Gigli"
— Bob (@snavetrebor) March 22, 2018
— dori (@wordsonfilms) March 22, 2018
Affleck has yet to publicly comment on the tattoo.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.