- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
- Hackers got control of Dylan Sprouse’s Twitter account, posted offensive content Monday 7:38 PM
- Twitch is suing the trolls who flooded the platform with porn and Christchurch shooting footage Monday 6:55 PM
- Cat filter turns Pakistani politicians’ press conference into frisky business Monday 6:12 PM
- Couple calls for boycott of dog walker app Wag! after their dog was abducted Monday 5:07 PM
- Trump gets banned from SeekingArrangement because he’s not a ‘real sugar daddy’ Monday 4:17 PM
- InfoWars accidentally sent child porn to lawyers representing Sandy Hook parents Monday 4:12 PM
- Sticker warns men changing diapers about ‘feminization of the American male’ Monday 4:10 PM
- The genius way Genius caught Google allegedly stealing lyrics Monday 3:03 PM
- This bubble tea challenge is a balancing act Monday 2:15 PM
- Laura Dern gifts the internet with more ‘Big Little Lies’ memes Monday 1:54 PM
- The Stonks meme is back—and it’s weirder than ever Monday 1:27 PM
- Video shows officer threatening to shoot pregnant Black woman in front of her children Monday 1:12 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Leila’ tells a familiar dystopian horror story Monday 12:37 PM
- O.J. Simpson says in Twitter video that he never slept with Kris Jenner Monday 12:06 PM
Elen Nivrae/Flickr (CC-BY)
Ben Affleck is probably done with the internet, but the internet is not done with him. Days after photos emerged of the actor hanging out on a Hawaii beach with his Triple Frontier co-stars, people are still talking about that weird back tattoo.
The Daily Show host Trevor Noah even asked Affleck’s longtime friend Matt Damon about the tattoo on Wednesday. Damon said he had seen the tattoo in real life, basically confirming that the tattoo is real. Damon also defended Affleck’s decision.
“I don’t believe a friend would allow a friend to get a back tattoo of a colorful dragon,” Noah told Damon.
“It’s not one man’s job to tell another what he can do to his back,” Damon replied. “I support him in all of his artistic expressions.”
If you’re still catching up, Affleck got the colorful tattoo, which appears to show a phoenix rising out of the ashes, more than two years ago. But he claimed that it was “fake for a movie” in an interview with Mario Lopez in 2016. Since it’s 2018, and he still has the tattoo, we’re assuming that it’s very real.
The back tat has become one of the internet’s favorite memes this week.
Ben Affleck’s back tattoo looks like it was ALSO directed by Zack Snyder pic.twitter.com/Nz3wK0bNZ7
— Chase Mitchell (@ChaseMit) March 19, 2018
The most popular paparazzi photo from the beach day (shown in the tweet above) shows the tattoo in full detail. Another photo being widely shared captures Affleck staring at the ocean and apparently contemplating something.
“This is the most Big Mood picture ever taken,” writer Jason Concepcion declared, referencing another popular meme.
This is the most Big Mood picture ever taken pic.twitter.com/dmapXNiTse
— ☕netw3rk (@netw3rk) March 22, 2018
People seemed to relate to the Big Mood that Affleck is projecting.
When you get out of the shower and stare at your closet for half an hour trying to figure out what to wear https://t.co/5LXBrNF34J
— shamblebot (@shamblebot) March 22, 2018
me after the thirst trap I posted didn’t work https://t.co/0M0hDorMhf
— Holly (@apawcalypsemeow) March 22, 2018
this is my new favorite picture on the internet https://t.co/9VyS9RpD5b
— Ebo Amissah Aggrey (@Ebo_AA) March 22, 2018
just out of the shower 7am on a monday morning https://t.co/cqX1D9STBS
— dan (@DannyAston1) March 22, 2018
Naturally, there were also several Batman references.
He's officially living The Dark Knight Returns https://t.co/ViIiC5zqYH
— Billy Gomila (@ATVS_ChefBilly) March 22, 2018
Not the Batman we need . . . but, probably the Batman we deserve. https://t.co/vS4Zubr53C
— M. Galaxy Parker (@BirminghamBuskr) March 22, 2018
And nods to his other film roles.
and the wind, it whispers, "Gigli"
— Bob (@snavetrebor) March 22, 2018
— dori (@wordsonfilms) March 22, 2018
Affleck has yet to publicly comment on the tattoo.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.