- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Michelle Wolf embraces vulgarity in ‘Joke Show’ Tuesday 4:24 PM
- Influencer gets 14 years in prison for trying to steal domain name at gunpoint Tuesday 4:14 PM
- ‘Three Days of Christmas’ is a delightfully dark holiday alternative to Hallmark Tuesday 3:55 PM
- The way Trump Jr. holds his own book inspires mockery Tuesday 3:47 PM
- Woman facing backlash for no longer wearing hijab in end of the decade photo Tuesday 3:16 PM
- Report: Consulting firm lied about decreasing violence at Rikers Island jail Tuesday 2:36 PM
- TikTok users are sharing things they thought were ‘ghetto’ as kids Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Republicans just blocked a net neutrality vote in the Senate Tuesday 2:24 PM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ host stuck using dad’s account after Twitter suspension Tuesday 1:10 PM
- ‘They’ is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year Tuesday 12:56 PM
Ben Affleck, if you haven’t heard, has a very large, colorful back tattoo. It appears to show a phoenix rising from the ashes. And people on Twitter are mocking it with glee.
Ben Affleck’s back tattoo looks like it was ALSO directed by Zack Snyder pic.twitter.com/Nz3wK0bNZ7— Chase Mitchell (@ChaseMit) March 19, 2018
Ben Affleck’s back tattoo is like if Lisa Frank had a darker childhood. pic.twitter.com/JPCZeZUDlb— Karen Howell (@karenehowell) March 18, 2018
Ben Affleck’s back looks like the art on a very “hip” bottle of spiced rum. pic.twitter.com/kKoLVQ4bMM— Jensen Karp (@JensenClan88) March 19, 2018
Ben Affleck’s tattoo looks like it was colored with random crayon stubs from a cup at a diner. pic.twitter.com/YIrDzYq0xC— Tara Ariano (@TaraAriano) March 20, 2018
Affleck’s tattoo first made a public appearance in a paparazzi photo at the end of 2015, and Vanity Fair reported that the photographer who shot it made around $32,000, as it was the first public image ever of the tattoo. Affleck then claimed the back tattoo was fake and made for a film role.
But recent photos of Affleck on a beach in Hawaii show that the actor’s tattoo is still there more than two years later. It seems pretty real.
Twitter was more than happy to call out Affleck on his previous comment about the tattoo being “fake.”
Next time you're feeling sad, remember that you're not Ben Affleck so you (probably) don't have a tattoo so big and so ugly and so universally ridiculed that you had to lie and say it was only temporary and just for a movie when it is so clearly not. (https://t.co/MQJfdA25tk) pic.twitter.com/sU72CUK4TG— Crystal Methanny (@RafiDAngelo) March 18, 2018
Mostly, though, people tried to wrap their heads around the tattoo itself. It takes up Affleck’s entire back.
Sarah Jessica Parker liking this Instagram post about Ben Affleck’s awful back tattoo is the funniest thing I have seen in 2018. pic.twitter.com/OIFNnlZSfv— Eva Palmer (@Eva_Palmer) March 18, 2018
Don’t mock Ben Affleck’s phoenix tattoo. It symbolises how he has risen from the ashes, reborn as a guy with a tattoo that sucks— pixelated boat [ASMR] binaural ~4 hours~ (@pixelatedboat) March 18, 2018
Ben Affleck's back tattoo was my idea!!— snddoɥ ʞɹɐɯ (@markhoppus) March 19, 2018
I’ve been following the Ben Affleck back tattoo drama more closely than the Mueller investigation.— Sophia Benoit (@1followernodad) March 18, 2018
Someone even incorporated Affleck’s back tattoo into another celeb meme, surmising that what Jennifer Garner realized at the Oscars could have been related to the phoenix body art.
Now it all makes sense.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.