- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football 2 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
Ben Affleck, if you haven’t heard, has a very large, colorful back tattoo. It appears to show a phoenix rising from the ashes. And people on Twitter are mocking it with glee.
Ben Affleck’s back tattoo looks like it was ALSO directed by Zack Snyder pic.twitter.com/Nz3wK0bNZ7— Chase Mitchell (@ChaseMit) March 19, 2018
Ben Affleck’s back tattoo is like if Lisa Frank had a darker childhood. pic.twitter.com/JPCZeZUDlb— Karen Howell (@karenehowell) March 18, 2018
Ben Affleck’s back looks like the art on a very “hip” bottle of spiced rum. pic.twitter.com/kKoLVQ4bMM— Jensen Karp (@JensenClan88) March 19, 2018
Ben Affleck’s tattoo looks like it was colored with random crayon stubs from a cup at a diner. pic.twitter.com/YIrDzYq0xC— Tara Ariano (@TaraAriano) March 20, 2018
Affleck’s tattoo first made a public appearance in a paparazzi photo at the end of 2015, and Vanity Fair reported that the photographer who shot it made around $32,000, as it was the first public image ever of the tattoo. Affleck then claimed the back tattoo was fake and made for a film role.
But recent photos of Affleck on a beach in Hawaii show that the actor’s tattoo is still there more than two years later. It seems pretty real.
Twitter was more than happy to call out Affleck on his previous comment about the tattoo being “fake.”
Next time you're feeling sad, remember that you're not Ben Affleck so you (probably) don't have a tattoo so big and so ugly and so universally ridiculed that you had to lie and say it was only temporary and just for a movie when it is so clearly not. (https://t.co/MQJfdA25tk) pic.twitter.com/sU72CUK4TG— Crystal Methanny (@RafiDAngelo) March 18, 2018
Mostly, though, people tried to wrap their heads around the tattoo itself. It takes up Affleck’s entire back.
Sarah Jessica Parker liking this Instagram post about Ben Affleck’s awful back tattoo is the funniest thing I have seen in 2018. pic.twitter.com/OIFNnlZSfv— Eva Palmer (@Eva_Palmer) March 18, 2018
Don’t mock Ben Affleck’s phoenix tattoo. It symbolises how he has risen from the ashes, reborn as a guy with a tattoo that sucks— pixelated boat [ASMR] binaural ~4 hours~ (@pixelatedboat) March 18, 2018
Ben Affleck's back tattoo was my idea!!— snddoɥ ʞɹɐɯ (@markhoppus) March 19, 2018
I’ve been following the Ben Affleck back tattoo drama more closely than the Mueller investigation.— Sophia Benoit (@1followernodad) March 18, 2018
Someone even incorporated Affleck’s back tattoo into another celeb meme, surmising that what Jennifer Garner realized at the Oscars could have been related to the phoenix body art.
Now it all makes sense.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.