- Google CEO tells Congress why searching ‘idiot’ results in Trump images Today 3:52 PM
- Netflix’s year-end data dump shows what people binged in 2018 Today 3:13 PM
- Snowden joins calls for Google to end controversial Chinese search engine Today 1:51 PM
- There’s still time for Congress to reinstate net neutrality Today 1:24 PM
- George R.R. Martin promises fans he’ll finish ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ … someday Today 12:58 PM
- The Boss tears down his myths on Netflix’s ‘Springsteen on Broadway’ Today 10:56 AM
- Vlogger banned from Twitter for disturbing pro-pedophilia posts Today 10:45 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is Nintendo’s greatest labor of love Today 10:44 AM
- Miranda Sings creator Colleen Ballinger gives birth to baby boy Today 10:26 AM
- Columbia University student goes on white supremacy rant in viral video Today 9:58 AM
- PewDiePie promotes YouTube account that features anti-Semitism, Nazi imagery Today 9:20 AM
- FCC investigates major wireless carrier for lying about coverage Today 8:40 AM
- Get this best-selling pressure cooker for half off, today only Today 8:30 AM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez compares her victory at 28 to Paul Ryan’s—and calls out a double standard Today 8:22 AM
- If you’ve always lusted after a KitchenAid mixer, it’s over $80 off today Today 8:00 AM
We swear this isn’t a euphemism.
The 90th Academy Awards took a break from handing out awards midway through the show on Sunday as Jimmy Kimmel, Gal Gadot, Mark Hamill, and Guillermo del Toro led a group of actors and directors into a different movie theater—where they surprised an audience who thought they were seeing a sneak peak of A Wrinkle In Time.
The audience got much more than they hoped for as the celebrities began passing out snacks in the theater. Call Me By Your Name actor Armie Hammer stole the show, however, with his giant hot dog cannon (no sexual innuendo intended).
— Variety (@Variety) March 5, 2018
Twitter was incredibly entertained, and Hammer transformed from actor-in-a-Academy-Award-nominated-film into a full-fledged meme.
war. war never changes. pic.twitter.com/unZm9ImeKc
— Jeff McDev (@JeffMcDev) March 5, 2018
"CALL ME BY MY NAME!" pic.twitter.com/YaXL8O9fsZ
— Alex Bedder (@itgetsbedder) March 5, 2018
— james mckenna (@chillhartman) March 5, 2018
This bit proves Armie Hammer is at his best when handling wieners.
— Mark Ellis (@markellislive) March 5, 2018
— Suzanne Robertson (@swimsuz) March 5, 2018
armie hammer’s “this is me” moment pic.twitter.com/GTv8Qo2bhC
— Cameron Scheetz (@cameronscheetz) March 5, 2018
armie hammer is literally holding a hot dog cannon and still looks like the epitome of heterosexuality. tragic pic.twitter.com/li9lwZOeDY
— mariam (@lyricalflop) March 5, 2018
omg can you imagine being stoned in a movie theater and suddenly the lights come on, Armie Hammer walks in and throws a giant hot dog at your face
— Robbie Couch (@robbie_couch) March 5, 2018
Armie Hammer firing a hot dog cannon is my favorite fever dream
— Katey Psencik (@psencikk) March 5, 2018
If I were baked out of my mind watching A Wrinkle in Time and Armie Hammer came in and shot a hot dog at me I'd think I had died
— Super Deluxe (@superdeluxe) March 5, 2018
“How was the movie?”
“Armie Hammer shot me with a hot dog”
— Ben Hoffman (@thebenshow) March 5, 2018
Hammer later celebrated with the cast of Call Me By Your Name after James Ivory won an Oscar for best adapted screenplay.
The hot dog cannon meme was one of the top meme-able moments of the 2018 Oscars. Meryl Streep also updated her “shouting meme,” and The Shape of Water set decorator Shane Vieau was roasted for his short jacket sleeves.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.