- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Today 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Today 12:07 PM
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Today 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Today 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Today 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Today 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Today 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Today 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Today 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Today 10:23 AM
- Pose’s Indya Moore goes viral for arguing trans women have ‘biologically female’ penises Today 10:21 AM
- Howard Schultz pens Medium essay declaring ‘unprecedented appetite’ for Schultz 2020 Today 9:56 AM
- The weirdest movie at the Oscars is ‘Border’ Today 9:22 AM
- Did Elon Musk just host PewDiePie’s meme review? Today 8:53 AM
- Loona stans take over Twitter with praise for the ‘Butterfly’ video Today 7:31 AM
This Brazilian soccer player popping a balloon is the perfect metaphor for life
The World Cup moment is now a meme.
When a large red balloon floated out onto the field during one of the opening games of the World Cup yesterday, goalie Alisson Becker of Brazil wasn’t going to let it delay the action. Becker, better known to fans simply as Alisson, nonchalantly popped the balloon, picked up the pieces, and got back to business. It seems like the logical thing to do, but somehow it has captured the Internet’s imagination and has become a meme literally overnight.
Maybe it’s the bright colors, maybe it’s the authority with which Alisson ends the balloon’s short life, or maybe it’s the fact that it’s so easy to see the situation as a metaphor. Whatever the case, people quickly embraced the image, and it’s rapidly spreading across Twitter.
— Alex Quinn (@alxqnn) June 17, 2018
— AS Roma English (@ASRomaEN) June 18, 2018
Balloon is my self esteem and Alisson is my mom pic.twitter.com/Z7XeB0khBV
— Duna Sherdo (@DunaSherdo) June 17, 2018
And someone really cranked it up a notch by creating this .gif that reverses the whole situation.
GIF of the day pic.twitter.com/eFm4aQg26E
— SH (@Sennesation) June 17, 2018
For what it’s worth, the game ended in a tie, with Switzerland and Brazil each scoring one goal. Not the outcome either team was hoping for, but they still fared better than the balloon.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.