- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
10 Weird Twitter feeds too cool for Time magazine
Time magazine’s list of the 140 best Twitter accounts of the year almost totally missed the group at the forefront of Twitter culture in 2013: Weird Twitter.
The self-proclaimed “Garbage Pail Kids version of Zooey Deschanel,” Mary Charlene (@iamenidcoleslaw), only had two words for Time magazine after finding out she wasn’t listed as one of their 140 Best Twitter Feeds of 2013.
It’s hard to blame Time for leaving Charlene out, considering her tweets don’t fit nicely into topics like comedy, politics, or cultural critics. They are a delightful mix of non sequiturs, news, and obscenities, with a little self-deprecation thrown in for good measure.
Charlene is part of a burgeoning comedy subculture that’s been labeled “Weird Twitter.” It’s difficult to define who or what “Weird Twitter” is, but Nick Douglas at Slacktory may have come closest when he called it “a loose group of Twitter users who write in a less-accessible form, using sloppy punctuation/spelling/capitalization, poetic experimentation with sentence format, first-person throwaway characters, and other techniques little known to the vast majority of ‘serious’ Twitter users.”
Weird Twitter has recently started to get some mainstream attention—a Guy Fieri parody menu written by three of the most prominent weird tweeters went viral earlier this year, and @dadboner, one of the movement’s poster boys, has scored a book deal based on his account.
But Time has yet to catch on. Only one of their 140 Best Twitter Feeds, @cool_pond, represents the Weird Twitter movement.
To help the magazine catch up with the Twitter culture of 2013, here are 10 Weird Twitter profiles you should be following.
1) @bransonbranson, 5,743 followers
@bransonbranson is that tiny juvenile inside your head that you’ve been trying suppress for years but can’t because things like “squeezing an avocado to feel if it is ripe feels like an incredibly sexualized act.”
2) @dadboner, 132,300 followers
3) @dril, 41,412 followers
If there is indeed a hell, @dril’s Twitter profile background is what it looks like, and his tweets are what you’ll find written in its feces-stained bathroom stall.
4) @boring_as_heck, 22,867 followers
Stefan uses his Twitter feed as a mirror he holds up to the world. The only catch is, the mirror already has an image of dirty man in a trenchcoat on it.
5) @utilitylimb, 13,227 followers
If @dril’s Twitter profile is what hell looks like, @utilitylimb is the delusional devil.
6) @grawly, 9,453 followers
Picture a toddler playing Dance Dance Revolution in diapers while shaking a dildo. That’s as close you’ll get to understanding @grawly’s tweets.
7) @iamenidcoleslaw, 98,180 followers
8) @rare_basement, 27,651 followers
Don’t let @rare_basement’s innocent looking Twitter profile pic fool you. She will cut you if you get between her and watching Goonies.
9) @aRealLiveGhost, 13,502 followers
Heaven seems pretty lame compared to the life of this freewheeling ghost stuck on earth.
10) @lawblob, 7,364 followers
What happens when you mix the horrified look of a Pac-Man ghost with the topical humor of a hobo? @lawblob.
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.