- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers 6 Years Ago
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
- How to watch ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ season 10 Today 9:55 AM
- George Lucas met Baby Yoda, and we can’t handle it Today 8:45 AM
- Apple TV+’s ‘Little America’ shines a light on immigrant stories Today 8:00 AM
- Eminem drops surprise album—and Ariana Grande fans are furious Today 7:53 AM
‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ extended cut will include Rogue’s deleted scenes
Anna Paquin is back in the movie—at least on the Blu-ray.
Good news for anyone who was wondering what happened to Rogue in X-Men: Days of Future Past: The movie is getting an extended cut that includes her deleted scenes.
For an actress who only appeared in the movie for about two seconds, Anna Paquin was billed surprisingly high on X-Men’s cast list. That’s because she filmed several scenes as Rogue that were cut from the final cinematic release, though they made it as far as one of the film’s early trailers. Rogue was originally given a significant role in the dystopian future scenes with the older versions of Magneto and Professor X, but those scenes were eventually cut because the writers felt they diverted attention from the main storyline.
X-Men franchise producer Lauren Shuler Donner has now confirmed on Twitter that the Blu-ray release of Days of Future Past will include an extended cut, with Rogue’s scenes intact.
— Lauren Shuler Donner (@ShuDonner) June 26, 2014
This will probably still feel like a snub to Anna Paquin, an Oscar-winning actress who was hauled in to film 10 minutes of action sequences, only to have it all wind up on the cutting room floor.
An extended cut does make the Blu-ray sound pretty appealing for X-Men fans, though. Most DVD and Blu-ray releases include deleted scenes, but this sounds like it will involve an entire subplot from a beloved character rather than just a couple of brief outtakes.
Plus, there’s the fact that Rogue adds a female character to a movie that has already been criticized for focusing too much on white male characters. Depending on the reception to the extra material, filmmakers might be encouraged to write some storylines for female characters that won’t end up being edited out.
Photo via attacktokyo/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor