- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Thursday 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Thursday 9:53 AM
‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ extended cut will include Rogue’s deleted scenes
Anna Paquin is back in the movie—at least on the Blu-ray.
Good news for anyone who was wondering what happened to Rogue in X-Men: Days of Future Past: The movie is getting an extended cut that includes her deleted scenes.
For an actress who only appeared in the movie for about two seconds, Anna Paquin was billed surprisingly high on X-Men’s cast list. That’s because she filmed several scenes as Rogue that were cut from the final cinematic release, though they made it as far as one of the film’s early trailers. Rogue was originally given a significant role in the dystopian future scenes with the older versions of Magneto and Professor X, but those scenes were eventually cut because the writers felt they diverted attention from the main storyline.
X-Men franchise producer Lauren Shuler Donner has now confirmed on Twitter that the Blu-ray release of Days of Future Past will include an extended cut, with Rogue’s scenes intact.
— Lauren Shuler Donner (@ShuDonner) June 26, 2014
This will probably still feel like a snub to Anna Paquin, an Oscar-winning actress who was hauled in to film 10 minutes of action sequences, only to have it all wind up on the cutting room floor.
An extended cut does make the Blu-ray sound pretty appealing for X-Men fans, though. Most DVD and Blu-ray releases include deleted scenes, but this sounds like it will involve an entire subplot from a beloved character rather than just a couple of brief outtakes.
Plus, there’s the fact that Rogue adds a female character to a movie that has already been criticized for focusing too much on white male characters. Depending on the reception to the extra material, filmmakers might be encouraged to write some storylines for female characters that won’t end up being edited out.
Photo via attacktokyo/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor