- How to stream live TV on PlayStation 4 10 Months Ago
- How to watch Disney XD online for free 10 Months Ago
- Who survived the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale? Sunday 10:21 PM
- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Sunday 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Sunday 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Sunday 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Sunday 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 6 for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever Sunday 7:54 AM
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu Sunday 7:00 AM
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Sunday 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
‘Umbrella Academy’, based on a comic by My Chemical Romance’s singer, looks awesome
Netflix revealed the first cast photo from The Umbrella Academy on Thursday. The mystery project is an adaptation of the Dark Horse comic book series from My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way and artist Gabriel Bá, giving fans a sneak peek at the series’ dysfunctional family.
The series takes place in 1977 in an alternate reality where John F. Kennedy was never assassinated and a character known as the Monocle adopts several children with abilities. Now estranged, the Hargreeves family teams up after the Monocle is murdered to determine who killed him—and with that many superheroes and sets of powers in the room, tension runs rampant.
The first photo only shows us a glimpse of the cast as they hide behind umbrellas, but their characters are revealed by the number—which has its own meaning within the series—shown on their umbrella.
— Umbrella Academy (@UmbrellaAcad) July 19, 2018
The cast has a number of familiar faces as some of its stars’ previous credits include Game of Thrones, Hamilton, Misfits, and the X-Men series. Tom Hopper is playing Luther/Spaceboy, who has the ability of super-strength. David Castañeda is Diego/the Kraken, a vigilante who can hold his breath indefinitely (and is the only character wearing a mask). Emily Raver-Lampman is Allison/the Rumor, whose lies can change reality. Robert Sheehan is Klaus/the Séance, who has telekinesis and can communicate with the dead. Aidan Gallagher is the Boy/Number Five, who is now stuck in the body of his 10-year-old self after traveling 50 years forward in time. And Ellen Page is Vanya/the White Violin, whose immense powers don’t manifest like the others.
It’s unclear just how much of the Hargreeves’ powers will manifest on The Umbrella Academy, but the tone, as well as the tagline “Hello. Goodbye.” (which is tattooed onto the palms of the Séance), look promising.
All 10 episodes of The Umbrella Academy will be released on Netflix in 2019.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.