- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
- Did BTS fans really cause TikTok to crash? (updated) Friday 11:08 AM
- People are selling homemade tampons on Etsy Friday 11:01 AM
Netflix revealed the first cast photo from The Umbrella Academy on Thursday. The mystery project is an adaptation of the Dark Horse comic book series from My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way and artist Gabriel Bá, giving fans a sneak peek at the series’ dysfunctional family.
The series takes place in 1977 in an alternate reality where John F. Kennedy was never assassinated and a character known as the Monocle adopts several children with abilities. Now estranged, the Hargreeves family teams up after the Monocle is murdered to determine who killed him—and with that many superheroes and sets of powers in the room, tension runs rampant.
The first photo only shows us a glimpse of the cast as they hide behind umbrellas, but their characters are revealed by the number—which has its own meaning within the series—shown on their umbrella.
The cast has a number of familiar faces as some of its stars’ previous credits include Game of Thrones, Hamilton, Misfits, and the X-Men series. Tom Hopper is playing Luther/Spaceboy, who has the ability of super-strength. David Castañeda is Diego/the Kraken, a vigilante who can hold his breath indefinitely (and is the only character wearing a mask). Emily Raver-Lampman is Allison/the Rumor, whose lies can change reality. Robert Sheehan is Klaus/the Séance, who has telekinesis and can communicate with the dead. Aidan Gallagher is the Boy/Number Five, who is now stuck in the body of his 10-year-old self after traveling 50 years forward in time. And Ellen Page is Vanya/the White Violin, whose immense powers don’t manifest like the others.
It’s unclear just how much of the Hargreeves’ powers will manifest on The Umbrella Academy, but the tone, as well as the tagline “Hello. Goodbye.” (which is tattooed onto the palms of the Séance), look promising.
All 10 episodes of The Umbrella Academy will be released on Netflix in 2019.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.