- AirTV is essential for Sling TV subscribers 12 Months Ago
- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
‘Umbrella Academy’, based on a comic by My Chemical Romance’s singer, looks awesome
Netflix revealed the first cast photo from The Umbrella Academy on Thursday. The mystery project is an adaptation of the Dark Horse comic book series from My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way and artist Gabriel Bá, giving fans a sneak peek at the series’ dysfunctional family.
The series takes place in 1977 in an alternate reality where John F. Kennedy was never assassinated and a character known as the Monocle adopts several children with abilities. Now estranged, the Hargreeves family teams up after the Monocle is murdered to determine who killed him—and with that many superheroes and sets of powers in the room, tension runs rampant.
The first photo only shows us a glimpse of the cast as they hide behind umbrellas, but their characters are revealed by the number—which has its own meaning within the series—shown on their umbrella.
The cast has a number of familiar faces as some of its stars’ previous credits include Game of Thrones, Hamilton, Misfits, and the X-Men series. Tom Hopper is playing Luther/Spaceboy, who has the ability of super-strength. David Castañeda is Diego/the Kraken, a vigilante who can hold his breath indefinitely (and is the only character wearing a mask). Emily Raver-Lampman is Allison/the Rumor, whose lies can change reality. Robert Sheehan is Klaus/the Séance, who has telekinesis and can communicate with the dead. Aidan Gallagher is the Boy/Number Five, who is now stuck in the body of his 10-year-old self after traveling 50 years forward in time. And Ellen Page is Vanya/the White Violin, whose immense powers don’t manifest like the others.
It’s unclear just how much of the Hargreeves’ powers will manifest on The Umbrella Academy, but the tone, as well as the tagline “Hello. Goodbye.” (which is tattooed onto the palms of the Séance), look promising.
All 10 episodes of The Umbrella Academy will be released on Netflix in 2019.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.