- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
These were the most reblogged romantic pairings on Tumblr this year.
Tumblr’s Year In Review is always interesting, telling us which communities, people, and topics received the most attention on the site. This year, The 100‘s Clarke and Lexa (Clexa) topped the list of most-reblogged fandom pairings, beating old favorites from Sherlock, Supernatural, and the Marvel franchise. Femslash pairs two female characters in fan-created art and fiction, while slash pairs men.
Here’s the top 10, according to Tumblr:
1. Clexa: Clarke Griffin & Commander Lexa, The 100
2. Dan and Phil: Dan Howell & Phil Lester, YouTubers
3. Larry Stylinson: Harry Styles & Louis Tomlinson, One Direction
4. Destiel: Dean Winchester & Castiel, Supernatural
5. Malec: Magnus Bane & Alec Lightwood, Shadowhunters
6. Klance: Keith & Lance, Voltron: Legendary Defender
7. Wigetta: Willyrex & Vegetta777, YouTubers
8. Stucky: Steve Rogers & Bucky Barnes, Captain America: Civil War
9. Kylux: Kylo Ren & General Hux, Star Wars: The Force Awakens
10. Reylo: Rey & Kylo Ren, Star Wars: The Force Awakens
As in previous years, the most popular type of pairing is two white dudes. All of the most-reblogged ships are male/male, aside from Clexa and Rey/Kylo Ren from Star Wars. (Sadly, Finn and Poe Dameron didn’t even make it into the top 20.)
This makes it all the more impressive that Clexa and The 100 defeated heavy-hitters like Stucky (Marvel’s Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes) and Larry Stylinson (One Direction’s Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson), helped by two dueling factors. On the positive side, Clarke and Lexa were a couple in the show, unlike the vast majority of same-sex pairings. But unfortunately, much of that Tumblr conversation was probably driven by Lexa’s death and the subsequent media controversy over how alarmingly common death is for queer female characters on TV.
Elsewhere on Tumblr’s Year in Review, The 100 stayed strong. Alycia Debnam-Carey (Lexa) was the most-reblogged actress on the site, above Jennifer Lawrence, Margot Robbie, and Star Wars‘ Daisy Ridley. And in the TV category, The 100 was second only to Supernatural, proving more popular than Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, The Walking Dead, and Doctor Who.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor