- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
Tumblr is weirdly obsessed with trombones and oven doors
Nobody knows why this became a thing—but it did.
The 15-second video shows a middle-aged dad playing trombone in the kitchen, while his son rhythmically slams the oven door. They’re playing a cover of the riff from a song called “Freaks” by Timmy Trumpet & Savage and, well, that’s it.
Over in the mom corner of the Internet, this video did the rounds as a cute example of what boys get up to when left home alone. Meanwhile on Tumblr, it’s managed to find its way into every damn fandom you can think of. Which of your favorite characters would play trombone while the other slammed the oven door? A question for the ages.
Photo via the-walrus-mafia.tumblr/Tumblr
Yes, that is indeed a fan-made animation of the main characters from the Attack on Titan anime re-enacting “When Mama Isn’t Home.” For that extra level of “why is Tumblr even doing this,” there is also .GIF-ed fanart of the Attack on Titan video.
Who knows why the trombone/door meme became a thing on Tumblr. Who knows why anything becomes A Thing On Tumblr. But for whatever reason, this 15-second video was deemed worthy of endless repetition and remixing, from the ironic comments (“date someone who will be the trombone-player to your oven door-slammer”) to the hours of work that went into some of the fanart and mini-animations. The original creators of “When Mama Isn’t Home” know not what they have wrought.
Screengrab via bauerbirds/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor