- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? 5 Years Ago
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Today 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Today 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Today 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
Tumblr is weirdly obsessed with trombones and oven doors
Nobody knows why this became a thing—but it did.
The 15-second video shows a middle-aged dad playing trombone in the kitchen, while his son rhythmically slams the oven door. They’re playing a cover of the riff from a song called “Freaks” by Timmy Trumpet & Savage and, well, that’s it.
Over in the mom corner of the Internet, this video did the rounds as a cute example of what boys get up to when left home alone. Meanwhile on Tumblr, it’s managed to find its way into every damn fandom you can think of. Which of your favorite characters would play trombone while the other slammed the oven door? A question for the ages.
Photo via the-walrus-mafia.tumblr/Tumblr
Yes, that is indeed a fan-made animation of the main characters from the Attack on Titan anime re-enacting “When Mama Isn’t Home.” For that extra level of “why is Tumblr even doing this,” there is also .GIF-ed fanart of the Attack on Titan video.
Who knows why the trombone/door meme became a thing on Tumblr. Who knows why anything becomes A Thing On Tumblr. But for whatever reason, this 15-second video was deemed worthy of endless repetition and remixing, from the ironic comments (“date someone who will be the trombone-player to your oven door-slammer”) to the hours of work that went into some of the fanart and mini-animations. The original creators of “When Mama Isn’t Home” know not what they have wrought.
Screengrab via bauerbirds/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor