- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract 2 Years Ago
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist 2 Years Ago
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
- Deval Patrick 2020 fever is not catching on Today 9:08 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Browns on Thursday Night Football Today 8:13 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Netherlands in the U-17 World Cup semis Today 6:46 AM
- ‘Waves’ wrestles with the family drama and breaks it in half Today 6:30 AM
- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
Tom Holland, the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Spider-Man, is notoriously and reliably bad at keeping a lid on some of Marvel’s secrets, and he struck again after “leaking” the first poster for Avengers: Infinity War before Marvel was set to release it.
During an Instagram Live stream, Holland opened a package he received from Infinity War co-star (and fellow accidental Marvel leaker) Mark Ruffalo and showed it off to fans like he was hosting an unboxing video. Inside was the first poster for Infinity War, which didn’t feature any of the many, many characters appearing in the film but had hints of color in the now-recognizable Avengers logo.
It wasn’t until after Holland saw Ruffalo’s letter with a “CONFIDENTIAL DO NOT SHARE” message on the back that Holland realized he did it again.
TOM HOLLAND SHOWING A CONFIDENTIAL INFINITY WAR POSTER THAT MARK RUFFALO SENT HIM IS THE BEST THING I’VE EVER SEEN pic.twitter.com/tYVdOyMxiz— sara (@JensenAcklesGod) November 28, 2017
While both Holland and Ruffalo have both gotten reprimanded by Marvel for sharing secrets, this particular instance is almost certainly staged. For one, the livestream is still on Holland’s Instagram account, and it plays into the narrative that Holland (and Ruffalo to a smaller extent) accidentally leaked confidential Marvel material yet again—making for a more interesting story than the simple release of the poster, which looks cool but might not spark much conversation.
Shortly after Holland’s video spread online thanks to fans capturing the video from Holland’s Instagram Stories, Marvel released the poster for real so fans could see it for themselves.
Marvel also released a proper teaser trailer—one designed to ramp up hype for Infinity War by featuring YouTube reaction video clips and not a frame of new footage—ahead of the first Infinity War trailer on Tuesday. Chances are, that one will probably be released without a hitch.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.