- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter 2 Years Ago
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover 2 Years Ago
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca 2 Years Ago
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails 2 Years Ago
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live 2 Years Ago
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme 2 Years Ago
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Gentefied’ is actually made for people of color Today 9:28 AM
- Drug dealer loses $60 million after misplacing his Bitcoin code Today 9:18 AM
- TSA bans employees from using TikTok Today 9:09 AM
- PewDiePie rips Jake Paul, calls his money-making venture ‘complete bullsh*t’ Today 9:05 AM
- Can a lawsuit in Illinois stop a dangerous new facial recognition app? Today 6:30 AM
- Fan uncovers ‘Westworld’ trailers hidden on fictional company’s website Sunday 8:18 PM
Tom Holland, the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Spider-Man, is notoriously and reliably bad at keeping a lid on some of Marvel’s secrets, and he struck again after “leaking” the first poster for Avengers: Infinity War before Marvel was set to release it.
During an Instagram Live stream, Holland opened a package he received from Infinity War co-star (and fellow accidental Marvel leaker) Mark Ruffalo and showed it off to fans like he was hosting an unboxing video. Inside was the first poster for Infinity War, which didn’t feature any of the many, many characters appearing in the film but had hints of color in the now-recognizable Avengers logo.
It wasn’t until after Holland saw Ruffalo’s letter with a “CONFIDENTIAL DO NOT SHARE” message on the back that Holland realized he did it again.
TOM HOLLAND SHOWING A CONFIDENTIAL INFINITY WAR POSTER THAT MARK RUFFALO SENT HIM IS THE BEST THING I’VE EVER SEEN pic.twitter.com/tYVdOyMxiz— sara (@JensenAcklesGod) November 28, 2017
While both Holland and Ruffalo have both gotten reprimanded by Marvel for sharing secrets, this particular instance is almost certainly staged. For one, the livestream is still on Holland’s Instagram account, and it plays into the narrative that Holland (and Ruffalo to a smaller extent) accidentally leaked confidential Marvel material yet again—making for a more interesting story than the simple release of the poster, which looks cool but might not spark much conversation.
Shortly after Holland’s video spread online thanks to fans capturing the video from Holland’s Instagram Stories, Marvel released the poster for real so fans could see it for themselves.
Marvel also released a proper teaser trailer—one designed to ramp up hype for Infinity War by featuring YouTube reaction video clips and not a frame of new footage—ahead of the first Infinity War trailer on Tuesday. Chances are, that one will probably be released without a hitch.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.