- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Therm Scissorpunch is the best new character in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
First name, Therm. Last name, Scissorpunch.
Thanks to a marketing agreement between Disney and Denny’s, we got some fresh insight into Solo: A Star Wars Story last week. A new Denny’s ad features Han and Lando playing cards in a cantina, although this cameo actually distracted from the most exciting new revelation. We’re talking, of course, about Therm Scissorpunch.
First name, Therm. Last name, Scissorpunch. This new alien appears on a set of Solo trading cards, and you can see him briefly in the Denny’s commercial, slurping down a bunch of space noodles. Therm looks kind of like an angry grey lobster wearing a leather upholstered car seat. He also has the best name in the known universe.
A post shared by Jason Ward (@makingstarwars) on
It’s come to our attention that some people are making fun of Therm’s incredibly cool name, proving that sometimes, Star Wars fans just don’t know what they’re talking about. Inventive names are a core element of the franchise, ranging from poetically catchy (Poe Dameron) to downright ridiculous (Elan Sleazebaggano, a drug dealer in Attack of the Clones).
If we’re going to complain about any name in Solo, let it be Lando’s droid sidekick L3-37. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is an exciting casting choice, but why name her character after leetspeak? Along with feeling as outdated as a Nyan Cat joke, pop culture references don’t belong in Star Wars. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi got away with naming obscure background characters after Beastie Boys songs (Ello Asty and Slowen-Lo), but only because they weren’t recognizable. It’s meant to be a galaxy far, far away from Ready Player One-style callbacks. A place where people can very legitimately call themselves Therm Scissorpunch—clearly the best new character in the movie.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.