- Multimillion-dollar ‘Farming Simulator’ franchise enters world of esports Wednesday 7:38 PM
- Sandra Bullock, Chris McKay are making Netflix comic film ‘Reborn’ Wednesday 7:22 PM
- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
Thandie Newton honors Black Star Wars characters with ‘Solo’ premiere dress
Newton’s dress—a custom Vivienne Westwood piece—is embellished with figures of all the Black characters in the Star Wars universe, io9 reported. Even better: All the images are of action figures in Newton’s personal collection.
The dress includes images of Finn, Mace Windu, Captain Panaka, and Saw Gerrera action figures. There’s even a Lando Calrissian from the original trilogy. Here’s a look at the dress from a few different angles (and it’s worth zooming in).
— Dunc (@clubjade) May 15, 2018
— Geeks of Color (@GeeksOfColor) May 15, 2018
— Mr. Quijada (@UnaiQuijada) May 15, 2018
Per the Red Carpet Fashion Awards, the custom Westwood gown uses the designer’s “Absence of Roses” print overlayed with images of Newton’s personal Star Wars figurines taken by Christian Hogstedt.
The gown marks Newton’s debut as Val in Solo: A Star Wars Story and as the first Black woman to have a leading role in a Star Wars film. It’s notable that there are few enough Black Star Wars characters that they fit on a dress, a statement Newton undoubtedly intended—and nailed in style.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.