- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Just in case Warner Bros. decides not to hire Gibson, though, we’ve put together a shortlist of possible alternatives.
- Literally any woman director. This should be a no-brainer, because Hollywood has seemingly run out of male directors who a) have the requisite experience to make a blockbuster movie, and b) don’t have a 20-year history of spouting racial slurs.
- Ben Affleck. We hear he has some free time now.
- A third-grader who likes to make their superhero dolls fight each other. This is basically the narrative level we’re looking at for the Suicide Squad franchise, whose first film was re-edited to look more like its trailer, and went on to be panned by critics while earning $745 million at the box office.
- One of those angry internet Batman v. Superman fans who show up in the comments section to defend Zack Snyder’s genius. They always seem to know what’s best for the DC franchise; Q.E.D.
- Suicide Squad director David Ayer, to preserve the artistic integrity of the original Suicide Squad.
Just a quick reminder before you make your final decision, Warner Bros.: Harley Quinn, inarguably the most popular character in Suicide Squad, is a Jewish woman in a violent, abusive relationship with the Joker. Is it possible that Mel Gibson is not the best choice of director to tell this story?
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor