- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
A shortlist of people who should direct ‘Suicide Squad 2’ instead of Mel Gibson
Is Mel Gibson, famous for racist rants and domestic violence allegations, really the best choice for this job?
Just in case Warner Bros. decides not to hire Gibson, though, we’ve put together a shortlist of possible alternatives.
- Literally any woman director. This should be a no-brainer, because Hollywood has seemingly run out of male directors who a) have the requisite experience to make a blockbuster movie, and b) don’t have a 20-year history of spouting racial slurs.
- Ben Affleck. We hear he has some free time now.
- A third-grader who likes to make their superhero dolls fight each other. This is basically the narrative level we’re looking at for the Suicide Squad franchise, whose first film was re-edited to look more like its trailer, and went on to be panned by critics while earning $745 million at the box office.
- One of those angry internet Batman v. Superman fans who show up in the comments section to defend Zack Snyder’s genius. They always seem to know what’s best for the DC franchise; Q.E.D.
- Suicide Squad director David Ayer, to preserve the artistic integrity of the original Suicide Squad.
Just a quick reminder before you make your final decision, Warner Bros.: Harley Quinn, inarguably the most popular character in Suicide Squad, is a Jewish woman in a violent, abusive relationship with the Joker. Is it possible that Mel Gibson is not the best choice of director to tell this story?
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor