- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
A shortlist of people who should direct ‘Suicide Squad 2’ instead of Mel Gibson
Is Mel Gibson, famous for racist rants and domestic violence allegations, really the best choice for this job?
Just in case Warner Bros. decides not to hire Gibson, though, we’ve put together a shortlist of possible alternatives.
- Literally any woman director. This should be a no-brainer, because Hollywood has seemingly run out of male directors who a) have the requisite experience to make a blockbuster movie, and b) don’t have a 20-year history of spouting racial slurs.
- Ben Affleck. We hear he has some free time now.
- A third-grader who likes to make their superhero dolls fight each other. This is basically the narrative level we’re looking at for the Suicide Squad franchise, whose first film was re-edited to look more like its trailer, and went on to be panned by critics while earning $745 million at the box office.
- One of those angry internet Batman v. Superman fans who show up in the comments section to defend Zack Snyder’s genius. They always seem to know what’s best for the DC franchise; Q.E.D.
- Suicide Squad director David Ayer, to preserve the artistic integrity of the original Suicide Squad.
Just a quick reminder before you make your final decision, Warner Bros.: Harley Quinn, inarguably the most popular character in Suicide Squad, is a Jewish woman in a violent, abusive relationship with the Joker. Is it possible that Mel Gibson is not the best choice of director to tell this story?
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.