- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
Original Princess Leia ‘Star Wars’ bikini sells for $96,000 at auction
Just in time for Halloween.
One of the most iconic costumes in sci-fi history just sold at auction for a whopping $96,000.
The Profiles in History auction began on Oct. 1, and included several other items of classic Star Wars memorabilia, including a prototype Darth Vader helmet and a tooth from the Sarlacc Pit.
The outfit, which consists of a metallic bikini, collar, and chain, has long been a staple of fan conventions and cosplay projects, becoming the archetypal geek culture pin-up costume. Now some lucky Star Wars fan has their hands on the original, just in time for Halloween.
Surprisingly, Leia’s bikini was not the most sought-after item on sale. A miniature version of Leia’s Blockade Runner spaceship, which appeared in A New Hope, sold for $450,000, making it one of the most expensive items of Star Wars memorabilia in the world. By comparison, Luke Skywalker’s first lightsaber sold for a mere $240,000 in 2008. There’s no accounting for taste.
H/T Comicbook.com | Photo via The Conmunity/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor