- Solange sings along to Ariana Grande on Instagram Stories—and fans are obsessed 11 Months Ago
- How to stream the entire ’30 For 30′ series for free 11 Months Ago
- Swipe This! My happiest Facebook Memories are making me miserable 11 Months Ago
- Musketeers: Welcome to the global Elon Musk fan network 11 Months Ago
- Lawsuit alleges YouTube’s unboxing videos are ‘abusive’ ads aimed at kids Sunday 3:48 PM
- Dr. Dre shades Lori Loughlin with Instagram flex about his daughter getting into USC Sunday 3:13 PM
- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage Sunday 1:21 PM
- Facing criticism for eating fish, vegan YouTube star Rawvana speaks out Sunday 10:47 AM
- Arnold Schwarzenegger chases mini-pony in new TikTok video Sunday 9:19 AM
- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Sunday 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Sunday 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Sunday 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
This anime-inspired series is all about Resistance fighter pilots.
Star Wars is launching another animated series, helmed by Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni. Described as “anime inspired,” Star Wars Resistance takes place before The Force Awakens.
Star Wars Resistance follows a young pilot named Kauda Xiono, tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the First Order. Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie will voice Poe Dameron and Phasma in guest appearances, alongside other fan-favorite characters, including BB-8.
Dave Filoni says the show was inspired by his interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me,” he explained. “There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style.”
Amy Beth Christenson, a senior concept designer at Lucasfilm, will shape the show’s aesthetic. She previously worked as a concept artist for Star Wars video games including the Force Unleashed series.
According to the Star Wars press release, the voice cast includes Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time). They haven’t revealed who will play the lead character, Kauda Xiono.
Star Wars Resistance will premiere on the Disney Channel in the U.S. this fall, then on Disney XD. It marks a new era for Star Wars animation, with live-action TV spinoffs still in the early development stages at Disney.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.