- Distressing TikTok shows woman being sexually harassed Wednesday 7:49 PM
- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Wednesday 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Wednesday 12:29 PM
Star Wars is launching another animated series, helmed by Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni. Described as “anime inspired,” Star Wars Resistance takes place before The Force Awakens.
Star Wars Resistance follows a young pilot named Kauda Xiono, tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the First Order. Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie will voice Poe Dameron and Phasma in guest appearances, alongside other fan-favorite characters, including BB-8.
Dave Filoni says the show was inspired by his interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me,” he explained. “There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style.”
Amy Beth Christenson, a senior concept designer at Lucasfilm, will shape the show’s aesthetic. She previously worked as a concept artist for Star Wars video games including the Force Unleashed series.
According to the Star Wars press release, the voice cast includes Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time). They haven’t revealed who will play the lead character, Kauda Xiono.
Star Wars Resistance will premiere on the Disney Channel in the U.S. this fall, then on Disney XD. It marks a new era for Star Wars animation, with live-action TV spinoffs still in the early development stages at Disney.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor