- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
Star Wars is launching another animated series, helmed by Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni. Described as “anime inspired,” Star Wars Resistance takes place before The Force Awakens.
Star Wars Resistance follows a young pilot named Kauda Xiono, tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the First Order. Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie will voice Poe Dameron and Phasma in guest appearances, alongside other fan-favorite characters, including BB-8.
Dave Filoni says the show was inspired by his interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me,” he explained. “There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style.”
Amy Beth Christenson, a senior concept designer at Lucasfilm, will shape the show’s aesthetic. She previously worked as a concept artist for Star Wars video games including the Force Unleashed series.
According to the Star Wars press release, the voice cast includes Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time). They haven’t revealed who will play the lead character, Kauda Xiono.
Star Wars Resistance will premiere on the Disney Channel in the U.S. this fall, then on Disney XD. It marks a new era for Star Wars animation, with live-action TV spinoffs still in the early development stages at Disney.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor