- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
This anime-inspired series is all about Resistance fighter pilots.
Star Wars is launching another animated series, helmed by Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni. Described as “anime inspired,” Star Wars Resistance takes place before The Force Awakens.
Star Wars Resistance follows a young pilot named Kauda Xiono, tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the First Order. Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie will voice Poe Dameron and Phasma in guest appearances, alongside other fan-favorite characters, including BB-8.
Dave Filoni says the show was inspired by his interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me,” he explained. “There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style.”
Amy Beth Christenson, a senior concept designer at Lucasfilm, will shape the show’s aesthetic. She previously worked as a concept artist for Star Wars video games including the Force Unleashed series.
According to the Star Wars press release, the voice cast includes Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time). They haven’t revealed who will play the lead character, Kauda Xiono.
Star Wars Resistance will premiere on the Disney Channel in the U.S. this fall, then on Disney XD. It marks a new era for Star Wars animation, with live-action TV spinoffs still in the early development stages at Disney.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor