- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement 3 Years Ago
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Today 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Today 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Today 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Today 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
Lucasfilm announced the start of production on the film, which is being helmed by The Lego Movie directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, across Star Wars’ social media channels Tuesday with the release of the film’s first photo. Lord and Miller are joined by most of the announced cast in what appears to be the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon.
While Miller previously shared a photo of a production slate for the still-untitled Han Solo film last month, principal photography just began on Feb. 20.
The announcement also confirms most of the main cast. Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover are portraying a younger Han Solo and Lando Calrissian respectively. Game of Thrones’ Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, and Westworld’s Thandie Newton round out the main cast. And while Peter Mayhew did appear as Chewbacca in The Force Awakens, his role in the Han Solo movie is being played by Joonas Suotamo.
Lucasfilm also confirmed that the Han Solo movie, which still doesn’t have a title, will be released May 25, 2018, squashing (for now) speculation that the film would be pushed back to December 2018.
“Watching such inspired people from all over the world, with such unique voices, come together for the sole purpose of making art, is nothing short of miraculous,” Lord and Miller said. “We can’t think of anything funny to say, because we just feel really moved, and really lucky.”
While Ehrenreich and Glover’s roles are confirmed, the other actors’ roles are more mysterious. Harrelson is believed to be Han Solo’s mentor while Waller-Bridge’s role is CGI-driven, likely similar to Alan Tudyk’s K-2SO in Rogue One.
Noticeably missing from the first cast photo is Newton, a later addition to the cast and whose absence is sure to fuel theories about who she might be playing. Newton poked fun on Twitter and noted that she actually is in the photo—but you can’t see her.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.