- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate 5 Years Ago
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
Life-long ‘Star Wars’ fan learns he’s going to be in ‘Episode VII’
It’s a dream 38 years in the making.
Star Wars fan D.C. Barns was just 5 years old when he saw Episode IV in theaters in 1977.
“At Cinema 70 in Colorado Springs… I just couldn’t get it out of my head for 35 years,” he told videographers in a Force for Change donor video—or at least, what he thought was just a donor video.
Barns was in the middle of discussing how important Star Wars was to him at his Denver office when members of the Force for Change team surprised him with the announcement that he’d just won a role in the upcoming seventh film.
Force for Change is an official international Star Wars charity that raised more than $4 milion this year for UNICEF complete with $1 million from Disney pictures. The grand prize? A trip to London and a day on the set of the J.J. Abrams production, complete with the chance to don a costume and film a scene with the regular cast.
Barns was doing a video call with Omaze, the online charity platform that hosted the Force for Change Drive, when he was surprised mid-sentence. Barnes had been telling the Omaze staff what his all-time favorite moment as a Star Wars fan was. He recovered quickly in order to add, “This is probably my favorite.”
Check out the whole heartwarming reveal below.
Screengrab via YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.