- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head 4 Years Ago
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus 4 Years Ago
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? 4 Years Ago
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Today 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Today 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Today 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Today 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Today 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Today 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Today 9:56 AM
- Pete Buttigieg ripped for basketball ‘field’ tribute to Kobe Bryant Today 9:13 AM
- See how Logan Paul reacted to a college student spitting on him Today 8:50 AM
- Why this week’s ‘Doctor Who’ is essential viewing Today 8:20 AM
- Lewis Capaldi mistaken for Grammy seat filler because no one knows who he is Today 7:40 AM
- Why we’re obsessed with abandoned power plants and theme parks Today 7:00 AM
Gwendoline Christie’s stormtrooper armor commands D23 ‘Star Wars’ costume exhibit
This is one stormtrooper you do not want to mess with.
And here are several other costumes, some of which were previously shown at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim in April. You’ll see the new droid BB-8, First Order, stormtroopers, the jacket worn by Finn (John Boyega), and the full desert-scavenger outfit worn by Rey (Daisy Ridley).
Wish you were here, indeed.
Other highlights of the Disney convention so far include the unveiling of posters for several new Pixar films, including Toy Story 4 and The Incredibles 2. Fans were also treated to a surprise appearance by Johnny Depp, who became a Disney Legend earlier Friday alongside composer Danny Elfman, his longtime friend.
“I never really liked the word fan,” Depp told the audience while accepting his award. “It implies that someone is over someone else. I would say that you are actually my employer.”
George Lucas also become a Disney Legend at D23, joking in his speech that Goofy was the original inspiration for Jar Jar Binks.
Miraculously, upon hearing him say this, Disney still let him keep his new honor.
Photo via Eric Goldman/Twitter
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.