- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
The end of the Skywalker Saga has a name.
Lucasfilm is notoriously tight-lipped about upcoming projects, so just about any nugget of information it drops gives fans plenty to speculate about. And with the final film in the Skywalker Saga—the name for the main Star Wars films that center around the Skywalker family—arriving at the end of 2019, we now know what to call one of the most anticipated films of the year.
The title of Episode IX is Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the film’s first teaser trailer revealed at Star Wars Celebration in Chicago during the film’s highly anticipated panel.
— Star Wars (@starwars) April 12, 2019
The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi both gave way to plenty of interpretation (not to mention memes), and as fans digest the new title for The Rise of Skywalker, it will likely lead to similar discussion.
So far, the films themselves confirmed (and reaffirmed) that the sequel trilogy is largely Rey’s story, but The Rise of Skywalker nods to the legends that came before it. While there will be plenty more Star Wars for the foreseeable future between TV shows like Star Wars Resistance, The Mandalorian, Diego Luna’s Cassian Andor series, and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars revival and films in the works from Rian Johnson and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, The Rise of Skywalker will undoubtedly mark the end of an era in the Star Wars universe.
Fans have been anticipating the title as far back as the end of January when cast members such as Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) first started to announce that they had wrapped filming on the film.
- Here’s everything we know about ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’
- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan clash in ‘Star Wars’ novel ‘Master and Apprentice’
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will arrive in theaters Dec. 20.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.