- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
The end of the Skywalker Saga has a name.
Lucasfilm is notoriously tight-lipped about upcoming projects, so just about any nugget of information it drops gives fans plenty to speculate about. And with the final film in the Skywalker Saga—the name for the main Star Wars films that center around the Skywalker family—arriving at the end of 2019, we now know what to call one of the most anticipated films of the year.
The title of Episode IX is Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the film’s first teaser trailer revealed at Star Wars Celebration in Chicago during the film’s highly anticipated panel.
The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi both gave way to plenty of interpretation (not to mention memes), and as fans digest the new title for The Rise of Skywalker, it will likely lead to similar discussion.
So far, the films themselves confirmed (and reaffirmed) that the sequel trilogy is largely Rey’s story, but The Rise of Skywalker nods to the legends that came before it. While there will be plenty more Star Wars for the foreseeable future between TV shows like Star Wars Resistance, The Mandalorian, Diego Luna’s Cassian Andor series, and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars revival and films in the works from Rian Johnson and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, The Rise of Skywalker will undoubtedly mark the end of an era in the Star Wars universe.
Fans have been anticipating the title as far back as the end of January when cast members such as Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) first started to announce that they had wrapped filming on the film.
- Here’s everything we know about ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’
- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan clash in ‘Star Wars’ novel ‘Master and Apprentice’
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will arrive in theaters Dec. 20.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.