- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Friday 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Friday 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Friday 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Friday 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Friday 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Friday 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Friday 10:48 AM
You can control the new ‘Star Wars’ BB-8 toy with your phone
Is this the cutest ‘Star Wars’ toy of all time? Yes, yes it is.
The most hotly anticipated new Star Wars toy is here—and it looks even more awesome than we were expecting.
As soon as the rolling droid BB-8 appeared in The Force Awakens‘ first trailer, Star Wars fandom fell in love. The spherical little character was something of an engineering mystery at first, but an in-person appearance onstage at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim proved that BB-8 is the real deal. And as part of the marketing madness in the leadup to Force Friday, Sphero, which built the unit that rolled onstage, unveiled the feature-packed consumer version that you’ll be able to take home,.
Sphero’s BB-8 toy—release date TBD—is an app-controlled robot that can roll around your house, go on “patrol,” send and receive “holographic” videos, and respond to your voice. Oh, and it’s ridiculously adorable.
Just in case you have any lingering doubts about the supreme lovability of BB-8, Vanity Fair put together this video in which it introduced the tiny droid to some puppies. That’s right—puppies and BB-8. Together.
R2-D2 has some serious competition in our hearts.
Screengrab via Go Sphero/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.