- The eyes have it in these ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ memes 11 Months Ago
- Facebook let advertisers target users interested in infamous Nazis 11 Months Ago
- Dem senator promises to put net neutrality on the ‘political hot seat’ in coming months Today 1:28 PM
- Someone figured out that Toothless from ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ looks just like Bulbasaur Today 12:44 PM
- Disturbing Snapchat video shows 17-year-old throwing dog on trampoline Today 12:16 PM
- How to watch the new Bon Appetit channel for free Today 12:03 PM
- Eminem disses Netflix for canceling ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:50 AM
- Florida prisons sued for depriving inmates of music they paid for Today 11:36 AM
- Chris Hemsworth will become Hulk Hogan for Netflix biopic Today 11:29 AM
- Fortnite just introduced a K-Pop skin, and here’s how to unlock it Today 11:06 AM
- The YouTuber who exposed the site’s ‘softcore pedophile ring’ is under attack Today 10:39 AM
- Trump randomly calls for companies to ‘step up’ their 5G efforts in U.S. Today 10:28 AM
- Professional media person: Poor people have money but they just waste it on ‘benders’ Today 10:22 AM
- Netflix acquires highest-grossing blockbuster of 2019 (so far) Today 9:29 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez blasts media over home reports after Coast Guard member’s hit list revealed Today 8:52 AM
Could this be Chewie’s wife from the ‘Star Wars Christmas Special’?
This Wookiee appears in a brief scene with Chewie, embracing with their foreheads together. Is it an old friend? A relative? Girlfriend, boyfriend? Chewie had a wife called Mallatobuck in the infamous 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special, so she’s a popular choice. But at the risk of sounding space racist, it’s kind of hard to tell Wookiees apart. We only have a view from the back, so this could really be anyone.
As Mashable points out, some fans are very excited about the possibility of this being Mallatobuck. She joined the modern Star Wars canon with a 2015 children’s book retelling of A New Hope, so she’s free to appear in this movie. On the other hand, we should be wary of interpreting this body language as romantic. Wookiees are more physical than humans, and a head-touch doesn’t necessarily mean they’re dating.
Chewbacca got blonde streaks and is out there breaking Lady Wookie hearts in his younger days like a 90s boy band frontman. pic.twitter.com/DxPrdqL7hc
— The Stefano De La Cuesta (@THE_Stefano_DLC) April 9, 2018
While Chewie is by far the most prominent Wookiee in the franchise, this isn’t the first time we’ve met other Wookiees. Yoda visits the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyk in Revenge of the Sith, fighting alongside Wookiee warriors against Palpatine’s troops. Chewbacca actually participated in the battle, at this point a mere 180 years old. After that, he left Kashyyk and embarked on a series of adventures with non-Wookiee characters, and we know surprisingly little about his personal relationships until he partners up with Han.
Disney hasn’t announced a Wookiee character among Solo‘s secondary cast, so we’ll have to wait and see whether this is a tiny throwaway scene or a more significant character that the studio decided to keep under wraps.
Correction: Mallatobuck became canon in 2015.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.