- The giant battle episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ is nearly here Sunday 10:12 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ finally revealed the Night King’s endgame Sunday 9:53 PM
- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
Could this be Chewie’s wife from the ‘Star Wars Christmas Special’?
This Wookiee appears in a brief scene with Chewie, embracing with their foreheads together. Is it an old friend? A relative? Girlfriend, boyfriend? Chewie had a wife called Mallatobuck in the infamous 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special, so she’s a popular choice. But at the risk of sounding space racist, it’s kind of hard to tell Wookiees apart. We only have a view from the back, so this could really be anyone.
As Mashable points out, some fans are very excited about the possibility of this being Mallatobuck. She joined the modern Star Wars canon with a 2015 children’s book retelling of A New Hope, so she’s free to appear in this movie. On the other hand, we should be wary of interpreting this body language as romantic. Wookiees are more physical than humans, and a head-touch doesn’t necessarily mean they’re dating.
Chewbacca got blonde streaks and is out there breaking Lady Wookie hearts in his younger days like a 90s boy band frontman. pic.twitter.com/DxPrdqL7hc
— The Stefano De La Cuesta (@THE_Stefano_DLC) April 9, 2018
While Chewie is by far the most prominent Wookiee in the franchise, this isn’t the first time we’ve met other Wookiees. Yoda visits the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyk in Revenge of the Sith, fighting alongside Wookiee warriors against Palpatine’s troops. Chewbacca actually participated in the battle, at this point a mere 180 years old. After that, he left Kashyyk and embarked on a series of adventures with non-Wookiee characters, and we know surprisingly little about his personal relationships until he partners up with Han.
Disney hasn’t announced a Wookiee character among Solo‘s secondary cast, so we’ll have to wait and see whether this is a tiny throwaway scene or a more significant character that the studio decided to keep under wraps.
Correction: Mallatobuck became canon in 2015.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.