- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
Could this be Chewie’s wife from the ‘Star Wars Christmas Special’?
This Wookiee appears in a brief scene with Chewie, embracing with their foreheads together. Is it an old friend? A relative? Girlfriend, boyfriend? Chewie had a wife called Mallatobuck in the infamous 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special, so she’s a popular choice. But at the risk of sounding space racist, it’s kind of hard to tell Wookiees apart. We only have a view from the back, so this could really be anyone.
As Mashable points out, some fans are very excited about the possibility of this being Mallatobuck. She joined the modern Star Wars canon with a 2015 children’s book retelling of A New Hope, so she’s free to appear in this movie. On the other hand, we should be wary of interpreting this body language as romantic. Wookiees are more physical than humans, and a head-touch doesn’t necessarily mean they’re dating.
Chewbacca got blonde streaks and is out there breaking Lady Wookie hearts in his younger days like a 90s boy band frontman. pic.twitter.com/DxPrdqL7hc— The Stefano De La Cuesta (@THE_Stefano_DLC) April 9, 2018
While Chewie is by far the most prominent Wookiee in the franchise, this isn’t the first time we’ve met other Wookiees. Yoda visits the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyk in Revenge of the Sith, fighting alongside Wookiee warriors against Palpatine’s troops. Chewbacca actually participated in the battle, at this point a mere 180 years old. After that, he left Kashyyk and embarked on a series of adventures with non-Wookiee characters, and we know surprisingly little about his personal relationships until he partners up with Han.
Disney hasn’t announced a Wookiee character among Solo‘s secondary cast, so we’ll have to wait and see whether this is a tiny throwaway scene or a more significant character that the studio decided to keep under wraps.
Correction: Mallatobuck became canon in 2015.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor