- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Wednesday 12:18 PM
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder Wednesday 12:14 PM
‘Sherlock’ stars return to their characters’ Victorian roots in new preview image
They look as charming as ever.
Sherlock writer and star Mark Gatiss teased fans on Twitter Wednesday, hinting that there would be a treat landing at midnight U.K. time (7pm ET). Although many fans were hoping for a trailer, the tease came in another form: a new, official photo of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in all of their Victorian-era glory.
Showrunner Steven Moffat already confirmed back in March that the Sherlock special would take place in the 19th century and would be “kind of in its own bubble,” allowing Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman to play the original incarnations of their characters. After that, the show’s fourth season will return to its modern-day London roots.
Between #Setlock and another preview of Sherlock and Watson in Victorian garb, this won’t come as much of a surprise to fans. But the picture—or rather, the portrait—is a fitting one. Neither of them are smiling, as was the custom for photos taken around that time, but we can also appreciate Watson’s mustache (an improvement over his first one), and Sherlock’s hand gesture looks like he’s about to enter his mind palace—or Cumberbatch is already practicing for Doctor Strange.
The Sherlock special will air sometime this winter, while the show’s fourth season still has no premiere date.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.