- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch 6 Months Ago
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Today 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Today 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Today 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Today 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Today 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Today 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is one of the new franchises arriving in Marvel’s Phase 4, starring Kim’s Convenience actor Simu Liu in the title role. It’s the first Marvel movie to feature an Asian lead, and is expected to be a martial arts movie, echoing the kung fu origins of the Shang-Chi comics.
Due out in 2021, here’s everything we know about the film so far.
Shang-Chi movie cast
Simu Liu was openly rooting for a Marvel role long before he was cast, shooting his shot on Twitter for the role of Shang-Chi, and expressing interest in playing Namor or Sunfire as well. The 30-year-old Chinese-Canadian actor is best known for his role in the sitcom Kim’s Convenience, but he also has a history with action, performing as a stunt double in Heroes Reborn.
Marvel announced at SDCC 2019 that the film will also star Awkwafina and Hong Kong superstar Tony Leung (In The Mood For Love), marking Leung’s Hollywood blockbuster debut. He’s playing the Mandarin, a villain role that was (kind of) previously played by Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3.
Shang-Chi movie creative team
Indie filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton (Short Term 12) will direct, with screenwriter David Callaham (Wonder Woman 1984) writing the script. Here’s the film’s writer, director, and star meeting up in July 2019, posted by Simu Liu on Twitter:
Shang-Chi movie plot
Launched in 1973, Shang-Chi stands alongside Iron Fist as a character created during the height of the 1970s kung fu movie trend. Like Iron Fist, Shang-Li was heavily inspired by Bruce Lee. Created by writer Steve Englehart and artist Jim Starlin, the character came about when Marvel obtained the rights to the villain Fu Manchu, with Shang-Chi developed as Fu Manchu’s son.
The key conflict of Shang-Chi’s origin story is his decision to leave his father’s criminal empire, realizing Fu Manchu’s destructive influence and choosing to use his martial arts skills to do good instead. Trained in combat since childhood, he moves on to fight criminals, terrorists, and supervillains, sometimes teaming up with other Marvel heroes like the Heroes for Hire and the Avengers. In Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, there’s speculation that the Mandarin may replace Fu Manchu’s original role—possibly because the Mandarin is already established in the MCU, or possibly because Fu Manchu has a racist legacy in American pop culture.
The Ten Rings organization has been in the MCU from the start, introduced as a terrorist group responsible for kidnapping Tony Stark in Iron Man. They appeared in the background of a couple of other Marvel films and had a key role in Iron Man 3, but aside from Ben Kingsley’s Mandarin fake-out, we don’t actually know much about them. It looks like Shang-Chi will offer a more three-dimensional look at the organization, and we can’t imagine Tony Leung would sign up unless there was a meaty role on offer for the Mandarin.
Marvel hasn’t confirmed whether Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will be an origin story, or when it will take place in the Marvel timeline.
Shang-Chi movie release date
Shang-Chi movie trailer
Expect the trailer sometime in 2020.
- The best order to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- The best order to watch the X-Men movies
- 13 fascinating facts about Squirrel Girl, Marvel’s most powerful hero
Want more reviews and interviews from Gavia Baker-Whitelaw? Sign up here to receive her biweekly geek culture newsletter.
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor