- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Fans are worried that Netflix will cancel ‘Sense8’ like it did with ‘The Get Down.’
Netflix just canceled The Get Down and now Sense8 fans are worried the same thing will happen to their show. Both are expensive dramas from famous filmmakers (Baz Luhrmann and the Wachowskis, respectively), but they still have lower profiles than Netflix hits like Orange is the New Black and Stranger Things.
Sense8 has a cult following, with fans praising its diverse casting choices, trippy sci-fi concept, and themes of unity and friendship across cultural divides. However, “cult following” doesn’t always translate to a large viewership. Season 2 reputedly cost $9 million per episode, so it needs a big audience to earn a third season.
To remind Netflix of their dedication, Sense8 fans have launched every TV fandom’s favorite strategy: a hashtag campaign. #RenewSense8 is now trending worldwide on Twitter, and maybe someone at Netflix is paying attention.
Deadline reported in March that Netflix is renegotiating deals with Sense8′s main cast, after their original contracts ran out. That doesn’t necessarily guarantee a third season, but it does mean Netflix wants them to be available, just in case. According to a recent interview with producer Roberto Malerba, Lana Wachowski is already working on the scripts for season 3, which Malerba believes would be the show’s last.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor