- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event 2 Years Ago
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ 2 Years Ago
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy 2 Years Ago
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk 2 Years Ago
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Today 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Today 1:12 PM
- Man wears bandage that blends in with his skin tone, and Twitter has all the feelings Today 12:55 PM
- The 8 best Korean sunscreens to add to your bag Today 12:15 PM
- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ commercials drop a few big spoilers Today 11:58 AM
- 11 party games for people sick of playing Cards Against Humanity Today 11:45 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy makes the most Curvy Wife Guy pregnancy announcement Today 11:31 AM
- ‘A Fortunate Man’ is a gorgeous, shallow adaptation of a classic novel Today 11:30 AM
- Obama’s ‘Easter worshippers’ tweet upsets conservatives Today 11:04 AM
- Trump responds to impeachment calls: ‘You can’t’ Today 10:43 AM
- Desperate YouTuber goes on ‘holy pilgrimage’ to meet PewDiePie Today 10:33 AM
Fans are worried that Netflix will cancel ‘Sense8’ like it did with ‘The Get Down.’
Netflix just canceled The Get Down and now Sense8 fans are worried the same thing will happen to their show. Both are expensive dramas from famous filmmakers (Baz Luhrmann and the Wachowskis, respectively), but they still have lower profiles than Netflix hits like Orange is the New Black and Stranger Things.
Sense8 has a cult following, with fans praising its diverse casting choices, trippy sci-fi concept, and themes of unity and friendship across cultural divides. However, “cult following” doesn’t always translate to a large viewership. Season 2 reputedly cost $9 million per episode, so it needs a big audience to earn a third season.
To remind Netflix of their dedication, Sense8 fans have launched every TV fandom’s favorite strategy: a hashtag campaign. #RenewSense8 is now trending worldwide on Twitter, and maybe someone at Netflix is paying attention.
— Sense8 (@postbadsense_8) May 29, 2017
— katarina (@hulkwidows) May 29, 2017
Deadline reported in March that Netflix is renegotiating deals with Sense8′s main cast, after their original contracts ran out. That doesn’t necessarily guarantee a third season, but it does mean Netflix wants them to be available, just in case. According to a recent interview with producer Roberto Malerba, Lana Wachowski is already working on the scripts for season 3, which Malerba believes would be the show’s last.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.