- The trailer for the final episodes of ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ is here Today 1:52 AM
- Guy gets roasted for throwing razor in the toilet to protest Gillette Wednesday 9:23 PM
- Experts warn of uptick in ‘Ryuk’ ransomware after hackers net $3.7 million Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Video game composer boycotts Gillette after anti-toxic masculinity ad Wednesday 6:05 PM
- Steve Carell sitcom ‘Space Force’ heading to Netflix Wednesday 5:30 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘run train’ phrase becomes conservative sex controversy Wednesday 5:25 PM
- ‘Into’ is a reminder that queer businesses can be hurt by straight leaders Wednesday 5:13 PM
- TSA agents are the latest tool in the government shutdown meme war Wednesday 4:22 PM
- YouTube still hosting bestiality images year after crackdown pledge Wednesday 4:13 PM
- YouTuber quits fight after Darth Vader fan film claimed by Disney Wednesday 3:26 PM
- Millions of Fortnite accounts exposed via Epic Games website exploit Wednesday 2:26 PM
- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care Wednesday 2:00 PM
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc Wednesday 1:51 PM
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind Wednesday 1:35 PM
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon Wednesday 1:14 PM
‘Rogue One’ spinoff novels for Jyn, Chirrut and Baze are coming soon
The two books will cover Jyn’s backstory, and Baze and Chirrut’s life on Jedha.
Three of Rogue One‘s main characters are getting their own tie-in novels this summer, exploring how they fought back against the Empire before the events of the movie.
We expect to hear more announcements for Rogue One novels and comics soon, but for now, Star Wars has revealed the cover art and plot summaries for a young adult (YA) novel about rebel hero Jyn Erso and a middle-grade book about Jedha’s badass power couple Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imwe.
Rebel Rising/Star Wars
Written by YA sci-fi author Beth Ravis, Rebel Rising goes back in time to Jyn Erso’s backstory with Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker), a relationship that didn’t get much screentime in the final cut of the movie.
Saw Gerrera is an established character in Star Wars canon, a rebel fighter who, after 20 years of fighting against the Empire, had evolved into a paranoid extremist by the time of Rogue One. He was a surrogate father to Jyn after she was separated from her parents, so this book will explore how he shaped her fighting abilities and political outlook as a teen.
Guardians of the Whills/Star Wars
Star Wars stalwart Greg Rucka (Star Wars: Before the Awakening) returns for Baze and Chirrut’s novel, Guardians of the Whills. This book also involves Saw Gerrera, capitalizing on a character who clearly has an important place in the Star Wars universe despite his minimal screentime in Rogue One.
Baze and Chirrut used to be Guardians of the Whills, who looked after the Kyber Temple on Jedha and all those who worshipped there. Then the Empire came and took over the planet. The temple was destroyed and the people scattered. Now Baze and Chirrut do what they can to resist the Empire and protect the people of Jedha, but it never seems to be enough. When a man named Saw Gerrera arrives with grand plans to take down the Empire, it seems like the perfect way for Baze and Chirrut to make a real difference and help the people of Jedha. But will it come at too great a cost?
Both Rebel Rising and Guardians of the Whills will be released May 2.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.