- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Friday 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Friday 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Friday 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Friday 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Friday 10:52 AM
This dank ‘What’s a Rick and Morty’ meme proves we need to save net neutrality
What is Rick and Morty?
Don’t answer that. I know it’s a wildly popular Adult Swim cartoon that documents the miraculous blunders of mad scientist Rick Sanchez and his grandson Morty Smith. I also know it inspired a very popular meme sauce a few months ago that nearly tore the universe asunder. But a group of clever Twitter users have feigned ignorance on the breakout TV show and unleashed a righteous meme.
It began Sunday night when @sadgirlkms tweeted, “isnt rick and morty that thing you get when you die and your body gets all stiff.”
isnt rick and morty that thing you get when you die and your body gets all stiff
— common sad girl (@sadgirlkms) December 10, 2017
Within half an hour, @PokeTrainer7 corrected her: “You’re thinking of rigor mortis. Rick and morty is when you get trolled into watching ‘never gonna give you up.'” But alas, @PokeTrainer7 was wrong, too! As @Barnesy_Jr kindly pointed out, “That’s rickrolling. Rick and morty is a type of pasta.”
That’s rickrolling. Rick and morty is a type of pasta
— Em (@Barnesy_Jr) December 11, 2017
You get the idea. But what you may not yet fathom is that this thread has more than 100 replies. They’re all golden, and they’re all more satisfying and readily available than the meme sauce.
They’re also a reminder of the urgent need to save net neutrality, as @_SirCJ pointed out on the thread.
Hi there, I’m Caleb.
If you enjoyed this thread and would like to keep enjoying threads like these, contact FCC Chairman Ajit Pai and urge him not to repeal #NetNeutrality.
Imagine having to pay for content like this. Text “RESIST” to 50409 to save the internet.
— Girl i want ya body cuz of that big ole fat ass (@_SirCJ) December 12, 2017
Keep fighting the good fight, @_SirCJ. And folks, remember to tell the Federal Communications Commission exactly how you feel about saving net neutrality. Your dank Rick and Morty memes may depend on it.
Bryan Rolli is a reporter who specializes in streaming entertainment. He writes about music and film for Forbes, Billboard, and the Austin American-Statesman. He met Flavor Flav in two separate Las Vegas bowling alleys and still can’t stop talking about it.