- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Today 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Today 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Today 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Today 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Today 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Today 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Today 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Today 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Today 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Today 6:30 AM
‘Star Wars’ Episode VIII director tweets his crossword puzzle—and a bit of the set
Everyone knows the answer to 62 across.
Hilariously, though, it was Johnson’s copy of the International New York Times crossword puzzle that first caught many fans’ attention.
A closer look at Johnson’s photo reveals that the hint for 62-across is “May the ____ be with you.” As fans lined up to help Johnson solve the puzzle—because hey, it’s what geeks do—they quickly pointed out the serendipity at work.
But beneath the all-important crossword lies a console that looks like something you’d see on a First Order ship. The dark, minimalist look fits the post-Imperial organization’s overall aesthetic. Based on what we know about Johnson from his previous films—especially the modern noir Brick and sci-fi timetwister Looper—he’s a guy who really loves his aesthetic.
Though Johnson hasn’t shared any other sneak peeks, he’s clearly been having fun on set.
With Episode VIII not due to arrive in theaters until December 2017, Johnson is probably aware that fans will be obsessing over these kinds of tidbits until next Christmas. Hopefully, he’ll be giving us many more crossword clues in the months ahead.
Sorry, that last tweet contained spoilers. For Saturday’s NYT xword.
— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) February 22, 2016
Photo via rianjohnson/Twitter | Remix by Aja Romano
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.