- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it 3 Years Ago
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Today 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Today 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Today 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Today 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘How High 2’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My ex-BFF keeps sliding into my DMs, but I don’t want to be friends Today 6:30 AM
- Watch ‘I Am Somebody’s Child: The Regina Louise Story’ for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Real Sociedad for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 149 for free Today 5:30 AM
- PDF Association dunks on Mueller report PDF Friday 7:33 PM
- Robert Downey Jr. says ‘Endgame’ finale is ‘best 8 minutes’ of any MCU film Friday 4:42 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls on Congress to impeach Trump Friday 3:43 PM
- BlackBerry Messenger is still a thing—but not for much longer Friday 2:56 PM
‘Star Wars’ Episode VIII director tweets his crossword puzzle—and a bit of the set
Everyone knows the answer to 62 across.
Hilariously, though, it was Johnson’s copy of the International New York Times crossword puzzle that first caught many fans’ attention.
A closer look at Johnson’s photo reveals that the hint for 62-across is “May the ____ be with you.” As fans lined up to help Johnson solve the puzzle—because hey, it’s what geeks do—they quickly pointed out the serendipity at work.
But beneath the all-important crossword lies a console that looks like something you’d see on a First Order ship. The dark, minimalist look fits the post-Imperial organization’s overall aesthetic. Based on what we know about Johnson from his previous films—especially the modern noir Brick and sci-fi timetwister Looper—he’s a guy who really loves his aesthetic.
Though Johnson hasn’t shared any other sneak peeks, he’s clearly been having fun on set.
With Episode VIII not due to arrive in theaters until December 2017, Johnson is probably aware that fans will be obsessing over these kinds of tidbits until next Christmas. Hopefully, he’ll be giving us many more crossword clues in the months ahead.
Sorry, that last tweet contained spoilers. For Saturday’s NYT xword.
— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) February 22, 2016
Photo via rianjohnson/Twitter | Remix by Aja Romano
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.