- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Wednesday 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Wednesday 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Wednesday 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Wednesday 12:55 PM
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men Wednesday 12:33 PM
Elizabeth Bennet gives Mr. Darcy the smackdown in this rap battle remix
Face it, Darcy, you’re no Kanye.
Remember when Elizabeth told Darcy to go jump in the lake? (And then later he did?)
We sure do. And so does all of Tumblr, judging by their approval of this fan remix in which our favorite literary heroine gets the badass soundtrack she always deserved.
We all know Pride and Prejudice contains one of the greatest love stories in the English language. But before our faves get together, the middle of the book treats us to the greatest smackdown in literary history, when Mr. Darcy tries to propose and winds up getting told off but good by an offended and hurt Miss Bennet.
Most famously recreated in the 1995 BBC miniseries starring perfect Jennifer Ehle as Lizzie and perfect Colin Firth as Darcy, this scene has always been a powder keg. All the BBC version really needed was this remix from Tumblr user the-ice-castle for Lizzie to level up to Total Badass Queen of our hearts.
We can’t blame Tumblr for giving this post 50,000 notes in 2 days. Lizzie deserves all the hearts the Internet has to give her.
Screengrab via the-ice-castle/Tumblr
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.