- How to stream live TV on PlayStation 4 4 Years Ago
- How to watch Disney XD online for free 4 Years Ago
- Who survived the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale? Sunday 10:21 PM
- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Sunday 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Sunday 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Sunday 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Sunday 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 6 for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever Sunday 7:54 AM
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu Sunday 7:00 AM
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Sunday 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
Amazon sells out of ‘Preacher’ comic books after AMC trailer debut
AMC’s upcoming adaptation has fans old and new reaching for the comic.
Following the trailer premiere, the first volume of the famed series promptly grabbed the top spot on Amazon’s bestseller list, booting pre-order sales of Neil Gaiman‘s Sandman prequel, Overtures. The ebook edition also climbed into the top 10, while the hardcover edition had nearly sold out as of press time.
Preacher, written by Garth Ennis with art by Steve Dillon, has long haunted bestseller lists and comics industry best-of lists. Both Ennis and Dillon are co-producing the new series. The story is a dark and supernatural postmodern reimagining of the Southern Gothic and the Western; its central figure, the disillusioned and violent former preacher Jesse (played by Dominic Cooper, best known to geeks as Howard Stark in the Marvel Cinematic Universe), is a kind of wandering Samurai for the end of the millennium.
In January, Rogen, who co-wrote the pilot script with frequent collaborator Evan Goldberg, tweeted a literal stack of influences that went into the concept for the TV adaptation.
The combination of sleek Asian revenge thrillers, violent Westerns, and Terence Malick suggested that Preacher will be stylish, bloody, and beautiful—and last night’s trailer validated those hunches, showing Jesse cautioning a young boy about the inexorable destruction that results from starting down a path of vengeance. It’s hardly surprising that Walking Dead viewers unfamiliar with the story are rushing to read it before it hits their screens in early 2016.
Screengrab via AMC/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.