- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich 2 Years Ago
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique 2 Years Ago
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Today 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Today 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Today 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Today 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Today 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Today 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Today 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Today 11:49 AM
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme Today 11:42 AM
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
To kick off 2018, developer Niantic announced a new monthly event for Pokémon Go called Community Days. The first Community Day takes place Saturday, Jan. 20.
Unlike some of the previous Pokémon Go events, Community Days are tied to windows of time, rather than to specific locations. For several hours on each month’s Community Day, special Pokémon will appear frequently around the world. Catch a special Pokemon during those hours, and your new creature will know a move that’s exclusive to that month’s event.
The Community Day timeframe on Jan. 20 lasts between 2pm and 5pm ET. The star Pokémon for January’s Community Day is a special version of Pikachu that comes with a surfing ability.
In addition to catching special creatures, Pokémon Go players will get a number of bonuses if they play during the golden hours. For starters, you’ll earn double experience points for playing when Community Day is live. Also, Lure Modules—increase Pokémon spawn rates for everyone within their area of effectiveness—will last for three hours instead of the usual half hour. That ought to help you snag your special surfing Pikachu. Other unspecified bonuses may also be available.
Niantic has been busy working on Pokémon Go these past few months. Recent updates include an improved augmented reality mode and a weather system that matches the in-game weather with whatever is happening meteorologically in your real-life location. Not bad for a game that came out over a year ago.