- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams 2 Years Ago
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Today 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Today 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Today 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Today 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Today 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Today 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Today 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
To kick off 2018, developer Niantic announced a new monthly event for Pokémon Go called Community Days. The first Community Day takes place Saturday, Jan. 20.
Unlike some of the previous Pokémon Go events, Community Days are tied to windows of time, rather than to specific locations. For several hours on each month’s Community Day, special Pokémon will appear frequently around the world. Catch a special Pokemon during those hours, and your new creature will know a move that’s exclusive to that month’s event.
The Community Day timeframe on Jan. 20 lasts between 2pm and 5pm ET. The star Pokémon for January’s Community Day is a special version of Pikachu that comes with a surfing ability.
In addition to catching special creatures, Pokémon Go players will get a number of bonuses if they play during the golden hours. For starters, you’ll earn double experience points for playing when Community Day is live. Also, Lure Modules—increase Pokémon spawn rates for everyone within their area of effectiveness—will last for three hours instead of the usual half hour. That ought to help you snag your special surfing Pikachu. Other unspecified bonuses may also be available.
Niantic has been busy working on Pokémon Go these past few months. Recent updates include an improved augmented reality mode and a weather system that matches the in-game weather with whatever is happening meteorologically in your real-life location. Not bad for a game that came out over a year ago.