- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
The ‘Buddy system’ will let you evolve certain Pokémon faster.
Players of Pokémon Go may get a big gift from Niantic: an ability to bond with and evolve a particular Pokémon.
According to Polygon, the code for the latest version of the mobile game contains suggestions of a “buddy system” that would allow players to pick a particular Pokémon to walk around with them. Similar to egg hatching, walking certain distances rewards the player with candy for that particular Pokémon, eliminating the need to collect rarer Pokémon in the wild or hatch them from an egg.
This will make it easier for players to choose to invest in one particular Pokémon to make it battle-worthy. It can also make it easier for players who want to catch ‘em all to see the evolutions of their rare catches.
Plus it’s cute. If you’re from the Pokémon Yellow era of Poké-fans, you’ll probably remember how much fun it was to have a little Pikachu trailing you everywhere.
Niantic has yet to confirm or deny this update, but for the sake of our sanity we really, really hope it’s true.
Update 2:45pm CT: Niantic has confirmed the existence of the new buddy system in a blog post today.
The next addition to Pokémon GO will be Buddy Pokémon. You will be able to pick your favorite Pokémon from your collection to become your buddy, opening up unique in-game rewards and experiences. Buddy Pokémon will appear alongside your Trainer avatar on your profile screen, adding helpful bonuses such as awarding Candy for walking together. You’ll also have the ability to change your Buddy Pokémon at any time.
There’s no date set for the update, but Niantic promises it’s “just around the corner.”
SEE ALSO: Pokémon GO: Beginner’s Guide, Tips & Tricks
Cynthia McKelvey covered the health and science for the Daily Dot until 2017. She earned a graduate degree in science communication from the University of California Santa Cruz in 2014. Her work has appeared in Gizmodo, Scientific American Mind, and Mic.com.