- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
The Internet’s love affair with Pluto erupts in hilarious and heartbreaking memes
‘So you dumped me years ago but now you’re driving by my house real slow?’
Or is it tragedy?
Pluto’s plight as a demoted planetary underdog is one of science fandom’s favorite lost causes, and the flyby has revived all of our conflicted feelings about the little guy.
Pluto has clearly won our hearts by having one of its own.
But like all planetary bodies, it also has its dark side.
The flyby has also spawned its own Rorschach Test, given the many different things people (and self-aggrandizing brands) have observed in its tan orb.
Sailor Pluto also got her share of attention.
There’s the obligatory rickroll.
There’s even plenty of non-visual memeing to go around. Tumblr has adapted its “shoving breadsticks in my purse” fad to the uncomfortable subject of Pluto not being a planet. Here’s one variation on the theme that has been making the rounds.
me on a date: so what do you think about pluto
them: pluto’s not a planet-
me, shoving breadsticks into purse: i have to go home right now immediately
And, of course, if memes aren’t your thing, shipping is always in style.
Photo via Reddit
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.