- Kellyanne Conway brushes off recession fears, calls it ‘Sesame Street word of the day’ 4 Years Ago
- Conservatives are livid the New York Times is writing articles about slavery 4 Years Ago
- Iceland holds funeral for first glacier to melt 4 Years Ago
- Nonprofit fanfiction database Archive of Our Own wins a Hugo Today 9:59 AM
- Dan Carlin’s ‘War Remains’ is a stunning VR pop-up Today 9:27 AM
- Your wireless data is probably being throttled, study finds Today 9:25 AM
- Mike Judge’s dystopian comedy ‘Idiocracy’ is now streaming on Netflix Today 8:00 AM
- The 2020 Democratic presidential candidates as La Croix flavors Today 7:00 AM
- Crowdsourcing mental healthcare with 7 Cups Today 7:00 AM
- How to unlock hidden filters and effects for Instagram Stories Today 6:00 AM
- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
The Internet’s love affair with Pluto erupts in hilarious and heartbreaking memes
‘So you dumped me years ago but now you’re driving by my house real slow?’
Or is it tragedy?
Pluto’s plight as a demoted planetary underdog is one of science fandom’s favorite lost causes, and the flyby has revived all of our conflicted feelings about the little guy.
Pluto has clearly won our hearts by having one of its own.
But like all planetary bodies, it also has its dark side.
The flyby has also spawned its own Rorschach Test, given the many different things people (and self-aggrandizing brands) have observed in its tan orb.
Sailor Pluto also got her share of attention.
There’s the obligatory rickroll.
There’s even plenty of non-visual memeing to go around. Tumblr has adapted its “shoving breadsticks in my purse” fad to the uncomfortable subject of Pluto not being a planet. Here’s one variation on the theme that has been making the rounds.
me on a date: so what do you think about pluto
them: pluto’s not a planet-
me, shoving breadsticks into purse: i have to go home right now immediately
And, of course, if memes aren’t your thing, shipping is always in style.
Photo via Reddit
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.