- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
The Internet’s love affair with Pluto erupts in hilarious and heartbreaking memes
‘So you dumped me years ago but now you’re driving by my house real slow?’
Or is it tragedy?
Pluto’s plight as a demoted planetary underdog is one of science fandom’s favorite lost causes, and the flyby has revived all of our conflicted feelings about the little guy.
Pluto has clearly won our hearts by having one of its own.
But like all planetary bodies, it also has its dark side.
The flyby has also spawned its own Rorschach Test, given the many different things people (and self-aggrandizing brands) have observed in its tan orb.
Sailor Pluto also got her share of attention.
There’s the obligatory rickroll.
There’s even plenty of non-visual memeing to go around. Tumblr has adapted its “shoving breadsticks in my purse” fad to the uncomfortable subject of Pluto not being a planet. Here’s one variation on the theme that has been making the rounds.
me on a date: so what do you think about pluto
them: pluto’s not a planet-
me, shoving breadsticks into purse: i have to go home right now immediately
And, of course, if memes aren’t your thing, shipping is always in style.
Photo via Reddit
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.