- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Today 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Today 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Today 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Today 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Today 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Today 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Today 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Today 11:33 AM
- The best Korean beauty products for $15 or less Today 10:50 AM
- PewDiePie’s reign as the No. 1 YouTuber seems to be over Today 10:43 AM
- Amazon’s ‘Hanna’ miniseries offers a more conventional take on the teen spy thriller Today 10:42 AM
- Conservative writer tweets about bombing a university after women are hired Today 10:16 AM
- YouTube star Ice Poseidon reportedly raided by FBI Today 10:11 AM
- Devin Nunes is threatening to sue more people who mock him on Twitter Today 10:10 AM
- The Economist faces blowback for asking if trans people should be sterilized Today 9:50 AM
The Internet’s love affair with Pluto erupts in hilarious and heartbreaking memes
‘So you dumped me years ago but now you’re driving by my house real slow?’
Or is it tragedy?
Pluto’s plight as a demoted planetary underdog is one of science fandom’s favorite lost causes, and the flyby has revived all of our conflicted feelings about the little guy.
Pluto has clearly won our hearts by having one of its own.
But like all planetary bodies, it also has its dark side.
The flyby has also spawned its own Rorschach Test, given the many different things people (and self-aggrandizing brands) have observed in its tan orb.
Sailor Pluto also got her share of attention.
There’s the obligatory rickroll.
There’s even plenty of non-visual memeing to go around. Tumblr has adapted its “shoving breadsticks in my purse” fad to the uncomfortable subject of Pluto not being a planet. Here’s one variation on the theme that has been making the rounds.
me on a date: so what do you think about pluto
them: pluto’s not a planet-
me, shoving breadsticks into purse: i have to go home right now immediately
And, of course, if memes aren’t your thing, shipping is always in style.
Photo via Reddit
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.