- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
PlayStation Plus subscribers will get these great free games in August
From Lara Croft to God of War, some of the biggest franchises in gaming are represented here.
For the PlayStation 4, gamers will be able to invite friends over and enjoy some couch co-op. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is a top-down four-player action-adventure game straight out of classic Tomb Raider vibe. Unlike 2013’s Tomb Raider, though, there are no heavy themes, nor does Lara get impaled through the neck by a reed. It’s just simple, cooperative fun—definitely something everyone can enjoy.
Also for PS4 is the re-release of 2010’s indie darling, Limbo. It stars a boy who wakes up in a forest on the edge of hell trying to find his older sister. The game is completely silhouetted, meaning that blacks, whites, and greys are the only colors seen. It’s dark, it’s eerie, and it will make you hate spiders.
Sound Shapes is available for PlayStation 3, PS Vita, and PS4. It’s pretty much what would happen if you turned a classic platformer into a music game. The game’s level design is heavily influenced by its music. It also features composers like Jim Guthrie, Deadmau5, and Beck. It’s a must-play.
Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones is also available for all three major PlayStation platforms. Stealth Inc. 2 is a puzzle-platformer with a Metroid-style world map. As the title suggests, players will have to cling to the darkness to avoid traps and enemies.
PS3 and PS Vita owners can grab CastleStorm. Made by Zen Studios, the team behind the popular Zen Pinball games, CastleStorm is a tower-defense game with a twist. Not only must you defend your castle from vikings, but you can also jump on the battlefield to take them on, sword and all. That also means you can go purely offensive and take down your opponents’ tower before they take down yours.
Last, but certainly not least, is God of War: Ascension for the PS3. God of War is a third person action-adventure game in which you play as Kratos. Kratos is pissed, specifically at the Gods of Olympus. He’s so pissed that he’s more than willing to go to hell and back again (literally) to take out each and every god that stands in his way. If you have yet to play Ascension, it’s a must for any God of War fan. Oh, and it can get very difficult, so make sure you throw your controller in the direction opposite of your television.
PlayStation Plus is Sony’s subscription service that gives gamers online access to PS4 multiplayer, discounts, and free games. Think of it as a Costco membership card. Every month, Sony offers up six new games for download. August’s PlayStation Plus games go live on the Aug. 4, so be sure to download July’s games before then.
Remember, if you don’t own a Sony console yet, it’s still possible to subscribe to PS+ and “buy” these games from Sony’s online store and add them to your catalog.
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.