- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter 5 Years Ago
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover 5 Years Ago
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca 5 Years Ago
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails 5 Years Ago
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live 5 Years Ago
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme 5 Years Ago
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Gentefied’ is actually made for people of color Today 9:28 AM
- Drug dealer loses $60 million after misplacing his Bitcoin code Today 9:18 AM
- TSA bans employees from using TikTok Today 9:09 AM
- PewDiePie rips Jake Paul, calls his money-making venture ‘complete bullsh*t’ Today 9:05 AM
- Can a lawsuit in Illinois stop a dangerous new facial recognition app? Today 6:30 AM
- Fan uncovers ‘Westworld’ trailers hidden on fictional company’s website Sunday 8:18 PM
Musician improvises stunning reimagined versions of video-game theme songs
Skyrim and Halo get amazing musical reinterpretations.
Improvisational musician Player Piano is at it again, and this time she’s breathing new life into some of the world’s most popular video games.
If you’ve seen the YouTube channel’s series of “On the Spot” videos, where pianist and composer Sonya Belousova comes up with original arrangements for songs moments after she listens to them, then you know what she and her partner, producer and director Tom Grey, are capable of. They’ve tackled Nintendo theme songs that made us nostalgic and classic Disney themes that made us want to sing along—all while leaving us stunned at Belousova’s talent.
Now the duo has released an “On the Spot” compilation that return us to the world of gaming with a quality level worthy of a final boss battle. Belousova tackles five well-known video-game theme songs at the suggestion of an Indiegogo campaign supporter: Halo, Chrono Cross, Skyrim, Final Fantasy VII, and BioShock.
Belousova has never heard (or at least never attempted to play) most of these songs before, but the remixes she creates seconds after listening to the original songs will give you goosebumps.
Belousova and Grey hope that if they make their Indiegogo campaign goal, they will be able to create videos featuring some of these songs in full. The longer, more elaborate videos would require more money than they have at the moment. For example, Grey describes recording the Skyrim theme on a mountaintop with a choir of sword-wielding men—an epic idea that would certainly carry an epic price tag.
Screenshot via PlayerPiano/YouTube
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.