- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families Today 5:00 AM
- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
Finally, the graphics have caught up with the storyline.
If you like first person shooters, online multiplayer, kill stats, and lots of dudes shouting, then Atlus’ seminal RPG series Persona is not for you.
However, if you’re passionate about Japanese storytelling, dark anime, high school dramas and complex exploration of the human spirit, you will flail with joy at what Persona 5 has to offer based off this newly unveiled trailer.
Visually similar to Atlus’ previous adventure Catherine, Persona 5 and its forthcoming Playstation 4 release is quite a thrill for those of us who have overlooked that the series tends to run a console generation behind.
Persona 5 follows a similar storyline to its predecessors. A 16-year-old protagonist in a small town acts as the central character, uniting with his peers to explore a mythical dungeon known as The Palace. The sinister structure is made of human hearts and all their good and bad intentions. Our heroes aim to steal unsavory plans from these hearts in order to prevent tragedy, reflecting on the nature of humanity’s strange choices as they go.
While the graphics have been in no hurry to catch up, Persona’s powerful storytelling has always bridged the gap. Now that its looks are on equal footing with its depth, Atlus may be brewing its best offering yet.
Colette Bennett is a writer and editor who specializes in geek culture, beauty products, and Amazon deals. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She's also given talks on working in news for CNN's Leadership Unplugged program. Bennett also runs popular Korean beauty blog Chok Chok Beauty and regularly slathers her face in snail slime.