- Black couple says they were accused of stealing during marriage proposal Tuesday 6:57 PM
- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony Tuesday 6:00 PM
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Tuesday 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Tuesday 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Tuesday 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Tuesday 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Tuesday 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Tuesday 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Tuesday 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Tuesday 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Tuesday 12:41 PM
- It’s too late to book a room for the Area 51 raid Tuesday 12:28 PM
The second season of ‘Penny Dreadful’ looks creepier than ever
The best horror series on TV is back.
For a melodramatic horror series about Dorian Gray, Frankenstein, and demonic possession, Penny Dreadful is astonishingly classy. The slow-moving pace and all-star cast lent some weight to all that Victorian pastiche, and after eight episodes we were left wondering why more TV shows couldn’t be like this.
The trailer for the second season includes Eva Green waltzing with Frankenstein’s Monster and Billie Piper rising from the grave, but it still manages to maintain a certain gravitas. You’re going to want to toggle the video to full screen for this one.
Yes, that’s Helen McCrory (Harry Potter‘s Narcissa Malfoy) bathing in blood while smoking a cigar and singing the appropriately-titled folk ballad “The Unquiet Grave.” Her character, spiritualist Madame Kali, is going to have a much bigger role this season, and will be joined by a daughter named Hecate. Season 2 will also introduce a mysterious character played by Broadway star Patti Lupone, fresh from another horror role on American Horror Story: Coven.
This trailer tells us precious little about what will happen this season, but that doesn’t really matter. The entire plot of the first season boiled down to “all the characters met each other and went looking for Mina Harker,” and that was still more gripping than most TV dramas. In this case it’s not the story that matters, but how Penny Dreadful chooses to tell it.
Photo via YouTube/Penny Dreadful
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor