- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Saturday 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
A spoiler-filled chat about the most divisive ‘Star Wars’ movie to date.
Podcast host Gavia Baker-Whitelaw was joined by Parsec editor Sarah Weber and writer Michelle Jaworski to discuss what we loved (and hated!) about the new Star Wars movie, including the now-debunked fan theories, and whether our favorite characters got the treatment they deserved. In keeping with The Last Jedi‘s divisive nature, we had all got very different things out of this movie. Although we can all agree on one thing: Kelly Marie Tran is a delight. Listen below.
Links from this episode
- Gavia’s spoiler-free review
- Michelle’s pre-movie rundown of Last Jedi fan theories
- All the alien creatures in The Last Jedi
- Luke Skywalker’s beard hides a clue in The Last Jedi
- Why you should pay attention to the space jewelry in The Last Jedi
- The Last Jedi has no respect for fandom nostalgia – and that’s a good thing
If you enjoyed this episode, you should check out our Star Trek: Discovery discussion as well. You can find every previous episode on our Parsec Podcast tag, and on most major podcasting services. And if you like what you hear, please leave a rating or review on iTunes! We’ll be back in the new year with more conversations about geek culture and fandom.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.