- Fortnite streamer Tfue sues gaming organization FaZe Clan over contract dispute Today 12:28 AM
- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Monday 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Monday 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Monday 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Monday 11:36 AM
Overwatch’s historic openly gay character draws (mostly) praise from gamers
Tracer’s girlfriend leaves fans losing their minds.
Tracer, the character primarily featured on all the game’s marketing, is seen at home sharing a kiss with her partner Emily, confirming that she is the first openly LGBTQ character in the game. Many players were ecstatic to see that the character on the game’s cover is openly gay.
2016 may have been a shitty year but hey, Tracer is gay. Game of the Year Overwatch has a gay poster character.
— TRACER IS GAY (@blueberrytrain) December 20, 2016
However, some players took the Blizzard forums to express their distaste with Blizzard’s decision to reveal Tracer’s sexuality.
Not all fans shared in this sentiment.
I’m so angry to discover Tracer’s a lesbian! Now I’ll never have a chance with the cartoon video game lady!
— Jhonen Vasquez (@JhonenV) December 21, 2016
INTERNET: Let Tracer’s butt be the way Blizzard wants it’s their vision
BLIZZARD: Tracer has a girlfriend
INTERNET: Tracer can’t be gay WTF
— Andrea Rene 🎄 (@andrearene) December 20, 2016
Blizzard released a statement to Kotaku regarding the decision to reveal Tracer’s sexuality in this way.
As in real life, having variety in our characters and their identities and backgrounds helps create a richer and deeper overall fictional universe. From the beginning, we’ve wanted the universe of Overwatch to feel welcoming and inclusive, and to reflect the diversity of our players around the world. As with any aspect of our characters’ backgrounds, their sexuality is just one part of what makes our heroes who they are. From the very beginning of our work on Tracer’s story, it just felt right to make this an aspect of her character.?
The Reflections comic also touches on what the other Overwatch characters are up to, though none of their exploits have stirred up as much of a reaction as Tracer’s.
H/T PC Gamer
AJ Moser is a Brooklyn-based reporter who focuses on video games, movies, and internet culture. His work has appeared in Paste Magazine, Game Informer, and Big Spaceship.