- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
Overwatch’s historic openly gay character draws (mostly) praise from gamers
Tracer’s girlfriend leaves fans losing their minds.
Tracer, the character primarily featured on all the game’s marketing, is seen at home sharing a kiss with her partner Emily, confirming that she is the first openly LGBTQ character in the game. Many players were ecstatic to see that the character on the game’s cover is openly gay.
2016 may have been a shitty year but hey, Tracer is gay. Game of the Year Overwatch has a gay poster character.
— TRACER IS GAY (@blueberrytrain) December 20, 2016
However, some players took the Blizzard forums to express their distaste with Blizzard’s decision to reveal Tracer’s sexuality.
Not all fans shared in this sentiment.
I’m so angry to discover Tracer’s a lesbian! Now I’ll never have a chance with the cartoon video game lady!
— Jhonen Vasquez (@JhonenV) December 21, 2016
INTERNET: Let Tracer’s butt be the way Blizzard wants it’s their vision
BLIZZARD: Tracer has a girlfriend
INTERNET: Tracer can’t be gay WTF
— Andrea Rene 🎄 (@andrearene) December 20, 2016
Blizzard released a statement to Kotaku regarding the decision to reveal Tracer’s sexuality in this way.
As in real life, having variety in our characters and their identities and backgrounds helps create a richer and deeper overall fictional universe. From the beginning, we’ve wanted the universe of Overwatch to feel welcoming and inclusive, and to reflect the diversity of our players around the world. As with any aspect of our characters’ backgrounds, their sexuality is just one part of what makes our heroes who they are. From the very beginning of our work on Tracer’s story, it just felt right to make this an aspect of her character.?
The Reflections comic also touches on what the other Overwatch characters are up to, though none of their exploits have stirred up as much of a reaction as Tracer’s.
H/T PC Gamer
AJ Moser is a Brooklyn-based reporter who focuses on video games, movies, and internet culture. His work has appeared in Paste Magazine, Game Informer, and Big Spaceship.