Nintendo discontinued the NES Classic Edition after a planned limited run earlier this year, but now fans will have another chance to get their hands on the much sought-after console, because it is getting a reboot.
The NES Classic Edition will return in 2018, the company announced in a release early Tuesday. Containing 30 classic NES games, the system sold out almost as soon as consumers could order. Many of the copies were snagged up and resold on sites like eBay and Amazon for hundreds of dollars—far more than the $60 retail price tag.
Details are limited, but Nintendo promised to release more information in the future.
Nintendo also announced the planned re-release on its official Twitter account.
また「ニンテンドークラシックミニ ファミリーコンピュータ」につきましても、2018年に生産を再開することが決定いたしました。店頭での販売開始時期については、後日ご案内いたします。 pic.twitter.com/0n1A0XS5Ei— 任天堂株式会社 (@Nintendo) September 12, 2017
The press release from Nintendo also confirmed that it will sell even more units of the SNES Classic Edition—the console released after the NES Classic Edition—due to popular demand; the first pre-orders sold out almost instantly. The system will still ship on Sept. 29 in the U.S. and will have “subsequent shipments arriving in stores regularly” into 2018 after originally planning to stop production at the end of 2017.
In a recent interview with the Financial Times, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aimé said that Nintendo would be making far more SNES Classic Editions than it did with the NES Classic Edition and urged fans not to pay exuberant amounts of money for the console. But even with more systems to sell this time around, it still might be difficult to get your hands on it.
“Certainly the demand is there and the supply chain is there. Can we do more? It depends on our ability to make more,” Fils-Aimé said. “We don’t want to have a consumer disappointed by not being able to get one for the holiday season. But managing that complex supply chain is a challenge.”