- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Idris Elba has been one of the top choices for years, frequently name-dropped by fans of the Bond franchise. That being said, by last November he was already sick of the speculation, saying, “Enough is enough. I can’t talk about it anymore.”
Despite his popularity, Hiddleston would be a surprising choice due to his busy schedule of theater and TV work, alongside smaller movies like the Hank Williams biopic I Saw The Light. With the third Thor movie and Kong: Skull Island coming out in 2017, it seems unlikely that he’d choose another action role that demands such a grueling schedule of training and promotional tours.
In the absence of any concrete casting news, fans have started using the #NextBond hashtag to share their ideal casting choices. X-Files star Gillian Anderson is the unexpected frontrunner, proving that sometimes the Internet has surprisingly excellent taste.
At 43 years old, Idris Elba may already be too old to start playing Bond, especially since the next actor will be expected to sign on for at least three movies. As a 47-year-old woman, Gillian Anderson is even less likely. But hey, we can dream!
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor