- Alinity Divine hasn’t been punished for throwing her cat—and people are livid 3 Years Ago
- Gamer Krucial B passes away during Defend the North tournament Today 9:25 AM
- Brexit supporter Boris Johnson becomes prime minister—spawning lots of memes Today 9:16 AM
- Democrats want to ban use of facial recognition in public housing Today 8:29 AM
- In America’s meme war, the left and right are fighting different battles Today 8:10 AM
- Mahershala Ali’s ‘Blade’ movie won’t arrive until Phase 5 of the MCU Today 7:18 AM
- Natalie Portman isn’t playing ‘female Thor’—she’s ‘Mighty Thor’ Today 7:08 AM
- How to watch ‘Breaking Bad’ online Today 7:00 AM
- Controversial Instagram influencer plans event called ‘The Scam’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to clear your search history on Instagram Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX Today 5:00 AM
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
Twitter has spoken—and it wants Gillian Anderson to be the next James Bond
According to Twitter, she’s the ideal person to take over from Daniel Craig.
Idris Elba has been one of the top choices for years, frequently name-dropped by fans of the Bond franchise. That being said, by last November he was already sick of the speculation, saying, “Enough is enough. I can’t talk about it anymore.”
Despite his popularity, Hiddleston would be a surprising choice due to his busy schedule of theater and TV work, alongside smaller movies like the Hank Williams biopic I Saw The Light. With the third Thor movie and Kong: Skull Island coming out in 2017, it seems unlikely that he’d choose another action role that demands such a grueling schedule of training and promotional tours.
In the absence of any concrete casting news, fans have started using the #NextBond hashtag to share their ideal casting choices. X-Files star Gillian Anderson is the unexpected frontrunner, proving that sometimes the Internet has surprisingly excellent taste.
At 43 years old, Idris Elba may already be too old to start playing Bond, especially since the next actor will be expected to sign on for at least three movies. As a 47-year-old woman, Gillian Anderson is even less likely. But hey, we can dream!
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor