- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
Dozens of attention-grabbing headlines are making the rounds on Thursday, proclaiming that a Marvel actress is being charged with her mother’s murder.
The reality of the situation is somewhat less salacious. While Mollie Fitzgerald, the actress being charged with her mother’s murder did, in fact, appear in a Marvel film, she had a relatively minor role. Marvel fans who flocked to the news with a morbid curiosity are finding themselves stumped by the actress’ lack of clear name recognition. She didn’t play a major role in any of the big MCU releases, so who, exactly, is Mollie Fitzgerald?
Who is Mollie Fitzgerald?
Fitzgerald is a 38-year-old actress living in Olathe, Kansas. Her acting career has spanned only a few years. Her first credited roles began in 2011, and the past few years have seen her make minor appearances in several films and shorts, including Captain America.
Fitzgerald has also found work behind the camera. She is credited on IMDb with directing, producing, and even writing several shorts and feature-length projects. Several of the projects she is producing, including a documentary called Fireball, are in pre-production. Her previous work includes 2017’s The Creeps and 2014’s The Lawful Truth.
Who did she play in Captain America: The First Avenger?
Fitzgerald is credited as “Stark Girl” in 2011’s Captain America: The First Avenger. The role was minor enough that your average viewer likely doesn’t remember Fitzgerald at all, despite a number of flashy headlines labeling her as a Marvel staple. ComicBook.com billed Fitzgerald as playing a bit role as one of Howard Stark’s assistants. If you haven’t seen Captain America in a while, let me refresh your memory.
In one scene, several girls parade out onstage at the 1943 Stark Expo to introduce Howard Stark. Fitzgerald is assumed to be one of these background characters, an extremely tenuous tie back to the MCU. She also served as an assistant to the film’s director, Joe Johnson.
What is Mollie Fitzgerald accused of doing?
On Tuesday, Dec. 31, Fitzgerald was arrested in Olathe, Kansas. Police charged the actress and booked her in the Johnson County Jail on a $500,000 bond. Patricia Fitzgerald, the 68-year-old victim, was found dead inside her home on Dec. 20. Thus far, police have not determined a motive behind her death. Reports say she was fatally stabbed.
Fitzgerald is charged with second-degree murder and is due in court today.
- Your complete guide to the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Breaking down each phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Marvel President Kevin Feige confirms MCU’s first transgender character
H/T CBS News
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.