- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
With all the frenzy around Pokémon Go these days, it’s pretty easy to forget that Pokémon Sun and Moon are mere months away. A recent update from Japanese magazine CoroCoro revealed two new creatures from the game, and one of them is getting a lot of attention.
Mimicyu, the Pokémon on the right, looks like a shabby version of Pikachu at a glance, which is exactly what it is. According to the reveal blurbs, it covers its body with cloth to avoid sunlight and afflicts anyone who tries to remove it with an illness (it is a Ghost/Fairy, type, after all). And best of all, it wears a 20-year-old Pikachu costume because it wants to be loved as Pikachu is loved.
Something about this lonesome admission struck gold in fans’ hearts and drove their pens to paper. The Tumblr tag is a flood of art that prods gentle fingers into the heartache of striving to be good enough. The results are touching and extraordinary.
Another sentiment was shared among many of the fanartists: The desire to protect Mimicyu and make it happy.
Mimicyu is actually the perfect Pokémon for the Tumblr generation. A little guy with a crooked smile who just keeps trying , he brings a lot of hope for young people who feel awkward and out of place. One fanartist even compared Mimicyu’s plight to that of the artist trying to find their niche in the world.
“I will meet a derpy one and encourage it to keep trying its best,” the Tumblr user wrote. “Every artist has to start somewhere, even the shy little spooky ones!”
Mimicyu for president, y’all.
Colette Bennett is a writer/editor who specializes in web culture, skincare, and all things geek. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She also writes horror and sci-fi fiction for Corona Books and is at work on her second novel.