- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed 3 Years Ago
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Today 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Today 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Today 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Today 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Today 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Today 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Today 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Today 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Today 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Today 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Today 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Today 10:43 AM
- Steve King says backlash to white nationalism comment was like what Jesus went through Today 10:23 AM
- Netflix movies are still eligible for Oscars, Academy rules Today 10:21 AM
Everybody loves Mimicyu, the new Pokémon who just wants to be Pikachu
He’s trying, and that’s all that matters.
With all the frenzy around Pokémon Go these days, it’s pretty easy to forget that Pokémon Sun and Moon are mere months away. A recent update from Japanese magazine CoroCoro revealed two new creatures from the game, and one of them is getting a lot of attention.
Mimicyu, the Pokémon on the right, looks like a shabby version of Pikachu at a glance, which is exactly what it is. According to the reveal blurbs, it covers its body with cloth to avoid sunlight and afflicts anyone who tries to remove it with an illness (it is a Ghost/Fairy, type, after all). And best of all, it wears a 20-year-old Pikachu costume because it wants to be loved as Pikachu is loved.
Something about this lonesome admission struck gold in fans’ hearts and drove their pens to paper. The Tumblr tag is a flood of art that prods gentle fingers into the heartache of striving to be good enough. The results are touching and extraordinary.
Another sentiment was shared among many of the fanartists: The desire to protect Mimicyu and make it happy.
Mimicyu is actually the perfect Pokémon for the Tumblr generation. A little guy with a crooked smile who just keeps trying , he brings a lot of hope for young people who feel awkward and out of place. One fanartist even compared Mimicyu’s plight to that of the artist trying to find their niche in the world.
“I will meet a derpy one and encourage it to keep trying its best,” the Tumblr user wrote. “Every artist has to start somewhere, even the shy little spooky ones!”
Mimicyu for president, y’all.
Colette Bennett is a writer and editor who specializes in geek culture, beauty products, and Amazon deals. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She's also given talks on working in news for CNN's Leadership Unplugged program. Bennett also runs popular Korean beauty blog Chok Chok Beauty and regularly slathers her face in snail slime.