- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos Sunday 4:23 PM
- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Sunday 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Sunday 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Sunday 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Sunday 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Sunday 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Sunday 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
Everybody loves Mimicyu, the new Pokémon who just wants to be Pikachu
He’s trying, and that’s all that matters.
With all the frenzy around Pokémon Go these days, it’s pretty easy to forget that Pokémon Sun and Moon are mere months away. A recent update from Japanese magazine CoroCoro revealed two new creatures from the game, and one of them is getting a lot of attention.
Mimicyu, the Pokémon on the right, looks like a shabby version of Pikachu at a glance, which is exactly what it is. According to the reveal blurbs, it covers its body with cloth to avoid sunlight and afflicts anyone who tries to remove it with an illness (it is a Ghost/Fairy, type, after all). And best of all, it wears a 20-year-old Pikachu costume because it wants to be loved as Pikachu is loved.
Something about this lonesome admission struck gold in fans’ hearts and drove their pens to paper. The Tumblr tag is a flood of art that prods gentle fingers into the heartache of striving to be good enough. The results are touching and extraordinary.
Another sentiment was shared among many of the fanartists: The desire to protect Mimicyu and make it happy.
Mimicyu is actually the perfect Pokémon for the Tumblr generation. A little guy with a crooked smile who just keeps trying , he brings a lot of hope for young people who feel awkward and out of place. One fanartist even compared Mimicyu’s plight to that of the artist trying to find their niche in the world.
“I will meet a derpy one and encourage it to keep trying its best,” the Tumblr user wrote. “Every artist has to start somewhere, even the shy little spooky ones!”
Mimicyu for president, y’all.
Colette Bennett is a writer and editor who specializes in geek culture, beauty products, and Amazon deals. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She's also given talks on working in news for CNN's Leadership Unplugged program. Bennett also runs popular Korean beauty blog Chok Chok Beauty and regularly slathers her face in snail slime.