- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet 3 Years Ago
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts 3 Years Ago
- The VSCO Girl has always been here 3 Years Ago
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Today 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Today 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Today 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Today 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Today 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Today 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl scammed a Trump fan out of $25,000 Today 7:54 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action Today 7:02 AM
- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone chargers Today 6:00 AM
With all the frenzy around Pokémon Go these days, it’s pretty easy to forget that Pokémon Sun and Moon are mere months away. A recent update from Japanese magazine CoroCoro revealed two new creatures from the game, and one of them is getting a lot of attention.
Mimicyu, the Pokémon on the right, looks like a shabby version of Pikachu at a glance, which is exactly what it is. According to the reveal blurbs, it covers its body with cloth to avoid sunlight and afflicts anyone who tries to remove it with an illness (it is a Ghost/Fairy, type, after all). And best of all, it wears a 20-year-old Pikachu costume because it wants to be loved as Pikachu is loved.
Something about this lonesome admission struck gold in fans’ hearts and drove their pens to paper. The Tumblr tag is a flood of art that prods gentle fingers into the heartache of striving to be good enough. The results are touching and extraordinary.
Another sentiment was shared among many of the fanartists: The desire to protect Mimicyu and make it happy.
Mimicyu is actually the perfect Pokémon for the Tumblr generation. A little guy with a crooked smile who just keeps trying , he brings a lot of hope for young people who feel awkward and out of place. One fanartist even compared Mimicyu’s plight to that of the artist trying to find their niche in the world.
“I will meet a derpy one and encourage it to keep trying its best,” the Tumblr user wrote. “Every artist has to start somewhere, even the shy little spooky ones!”
Mimicyu for president, y’all.
Colette Bennett is a writer and editor who specializes in web culture, skincare, and geek everything. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She's also represented CNN as a speaker for its Leadership Unplugged program.