- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ 7 Months Ago
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 7 Months Ago
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
The series will focus on Section 31, a black-ops organization that works secretly within Starfleet. Previously appearing in earlier shows like Star Trek: Enterprise and Deep Space 9, Section 31 will return in season 2 of Discovery, as Georgiou joins the organization. Since Section 31 is typically portrayed as morally ambiguous compared to the utopian ideals of the Federation, Yeoh’s new spinoff could be darker than Discovery.
While Georgiou was introduced as Michael Burnham’s Starfleet mentor in the first episode of Discovery, she was soon killed off. The character who appears in later episodes (and in Michelle Yeoh’s spinoff series) is actually an evil Mirror Universe version of Georgiou, who at one point ruled the galaxy as a despotic emperor. Now trapped in the main Star Trek universe, she’s found a fittingly dark and cynical home within Section 31, contrasting with Burnham’s more idealistic role.
Star Trek: Discovery returns on Jan. 17, featuring Yeoh in a recurring role.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor