- Lawsuit alleges YouTube’s unboxing videos are ‘abusive’ ads aimed at kids Sunday 3:48 PM
- Dr. Dre shades Lori Loughlin with Instagram flex about his daughter getting into USC Sunday 3:13 PM
- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage Sunday 1:21 PM
- Facing criticism for eating fish, vegan YouTube star Rawvana speaks out Sunday 10:47 AM
- Arnold Schwarzenegger chases mini-pony in new TikTok video Sunday 9:19 AM
- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Sunday 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Sunday 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Sunday 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets ‘canceled’ over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
Michelle Yeoh to star in ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ spinoff about Starfleet spies
The series will focus on Section 31, a black-ops organization that works secretly within Starfleet. Previously appearing in earlier shows like Star Trek: Enterprise and Deep Space 9, Section 31 will return in season 2 of Discovery, as Georgiou joins the organization. Since Section 31 is typically portrayed as morally ambiguous compared to the utopian ideals of the Federation, Yeoh’s new spinoff could be darker than Discovery.
While Georgiou was introduced as Michael Burnham’s Starfleet mentor in the first episode of Discovery, she was soon killed off. The character who appears in later episodes (and in Michelle Yeoh’s spinoff series) is actually an evil Mirror Universe version of Georgiou, who at one point ruled the galaxy as a despotic emperor. Now trapped in the main Star Trek universe, she’s found a fittingly dark and cynical home within Section 31, contrasting with Burnham’s more idealistic role.
Star Trek: Discovery returns on Jan. 17, featuring Yeoh in a recurring role.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.