- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Teen confesses to killing her best friend on video to get $9 million from a stranger online Wednesday 1:28 PM
- Democrats vote to block transgender troop ban Wednesday 12:17 PM
Michelle Yeoh to star in ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ spinoff about Starfleet spies
The series will focus on Section 31, a black-ops organization that works secretly within Starfleet. Previously appearing in earlier shows like Star Trek: Enterprise and Deep Space 9, Section 31 will return in season 2 of Discovery, as Georgiou joins the organization. Since Section 31 is typically portrayed as morally ambiguous compared to the utopian ideals of the Federation, Yeoh’s new spinoff could be darker than Discovery.
While Georgiou was introduced as Michael Burnham’s Starfleet mentor in the first episode of Discovery, she was soon killed off. The character who appears in later episodes (and in Michelle Yeoh’s spinoff series) is actually an evil Mirror Universe version of Georgiou, who at one point ruled the galaxy as a despotic emperor. Now trapped in the main Star Trek universe, she’s found a fittingly dark and cynical home within Section 31, contrasting with Burnham’s more idealistic role.
Star Trek: Discovery returns on Jan. 17, featuring Yeoh in a recurring role.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor