- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care 2 Days Ago
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc 2 Days Ago
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind 2 Days Ago
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon 2 Days Ago
- The ‘some of y’all… and it shows’ meme is taking over Twitter Today 12:24 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ begins season 2 on a cheerful note Today 11:49 AM
- Climate change memes are disrupting the feel-good ’10 year challenge’ Today 11:48 AM
- Mysterious Washington Post parody predicts Trump’s resignation Today 11:42 AM
- YouTube cracks down on challenges, pranks Today 11:04 AM
- Upskirting will soon be illegal in England Today 10:45 AM
- Jake Paul calls Keemstar a ‘piece of trash’ for ‘body-shaming’ Erika Costell Today 10:18 AM
- Sprint promises to stop selling location data after outcry Today 9:53 AM
- Kirsten Gillibrand announces presidential bid—and Al Franken diehards are salty Today 9:49 AM
- How to watch ‘Married at First Sight’ online for free Today 9:43 AM
- There are already memes for ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Today 9:00 AM
Michelle Yeoh to star in ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ spinoff about Starfleet spies
The series will focus on Section 31, a black-ops organization that works secretly within Starfleet. Previously appearing in earlier shows like Star Trek: Enterprise and Deep Space 9, Section 31 will return in season 2 of Discovery, as Georgiou joins the organization. Since Section 31 is typically portrayed as morally ambiguous compared to the utopian ideals of the Federation, Yeoh’s new spinoff could be darker than Discovery.
While Georgiou was introduced as Michael Burnham’s Starfleet mentor in the first episode of Discovery, she was soon killed off. The character who appears in later episodes (and in Michelle Yeoh’s spinoff series) is actually an evil Mirror Universe version of Georgiou, who at one point ruled the galaxy as a despotic emperor. Now trapped in the main Star Trek universe, she’s found a fittingly dark and cynical home within Section 31, contrasting with Burnham’s more idealistic role.
Star Trek: Discovery returns on Jan. 17, featuring Yeoh in a recurring role.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.