- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet 2 Years Ago
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? 2 Years Ago
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year 2 Years Ago
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme 2 Years Ago
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Today 12:12 PM
- Video shows runner smacking reporter’s butt on live TV Today 11:46 AM
- 27 senators call on Trump to fire Stephen Miller Today 11:13 AM
- Conservatives are fighting over whether porn is OK Today 10:39 AM
- The best in tech gifts for women this year Today 10:39 AM
- Why do the Golden Globes keep sidelining women filmmakers? Today 10:37 AM
- Netflix dominates with 34 Golden Globe nominations across TV and film Today 10:27 AM
- Ethan Klein has declared war on K-pop—and K-pop fans Today 10:22 AM
- People are not happy with Steve Harvey’s cartel comment to Miss Colombia Today 10:21 AM
- The decade conspiracy theories overtook the truth Today 9:14 AM
- Marianne Williamson duped into believing Trump pardoned Charles Manson Today 8:55 AM
Mattel’s Masters of the Universe line has inspired children of all ages to imagine they have the power of Greyskull in their swords for over 30 years. Originally birthed as a line of popular action figures, He-man exploded over the years. Comic books, a cartoon series, video games, spin-offs, heck, even a live stage show.
In 1987, Dolph Lundgren starred in the first live-action movie version of the series. The movie bombed in the box office, but has developed a loyal following over the years. But it’s a new millennium, and every ’80s property must be turned into a new movie—even He-man. Here’s everything we know so far about Masters of the Universe.
Masters of the Universe movie news
Masters of the Universe has been in development on and off since 2004, so details have changed over the years. Originally, John Woo was set to direct Masters in 2007, but the film never made it past development. Sony bought the rights in 2009 from Warner Brothers and have since gone through a “who’s who” of Hollywood trying to bring the story to life. Possible directors who have been considered unsuccessfully include Rian Johnson (Looper), Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The Lego Movie), McG (Charlie’s Angels), and David S. Goyer (Blade: Trinity).
It looked like Goyer was going to direct the film in 2017, but he left the directors’ chair in February 2018. He will stay on the film as an executive producer and screenwriter. So while it may not have a director, at least it’s working its way towards a script.
- 11 intergalactic facts about ‘Starship Troopers’
- 7 movies like ‘Inception’ to add to your must-watch list
- Here’s how fast the Flash really is
- An early look at Jason Momoa’s badass new ‘Aquaman’
Masters of the Universe plot
Currently, we don’t know much about the plot of Masters of the Universe. The original series followed Prince Adam, the son of King Randor and Queen Marlena of Eternia. Prince Adam is secretly He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe and wielder of the Power of Grayskull. Set in a fantasy world where high-technology and magic live side by side, He-Man battles the evil wizard Skeletor, joined by a cast of absurd mutants across the spectrum of good and evil.
The problem is, no one really knows yet what Goyer’s script will be like. Our only clue came in the form of an Instagram leak by Goyer himself. In late January 2018, Goyer made an Instagram post showcasing the art of Carlos Haunt. Haunt is working on Masters of the Universe, and the image was tagged “Teela Battle Suit.” Teela is one of He-Man’s friends and fellow warriors, in addition to being the most prominent female character in the series.
Fans expecting a high fantasy take on the material might want to temper their expectations if this high tech suit is any indication. Closer to the lifter from Aliens than the over the top colors of Masters of the Universe, Teela’s Battle Suit hints as much darker take on the material. However, until something official comes out this is pure speculation.
Masters of the Universe cast
Currently, no casting decisions have been made regarding Masters of the Universe. During the course of development, Dolph Lundgren was in talks to play King Randor and Kellan Luntz tweeted that he was up for the role. Outside of those two instances, however, there is nothing to report. If Masters of the Universe is going to make its 2019 release date it better get casting.
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
- 10 deadly facts about Domino, the ‘Deadpool 2’ mercenary
- Disney confirms Pixar’s connected universe theory is true—and it’ll blow your mind
- 9 things you need to know about Valkyrie
Masters of the Universe trailer
Filming has not begun on Masters of the Universe, so we’re still waiting on a trailer. However, there is a wonderful fan film to hold you over while you wait.
Masters of the Universe release date
Despite the filming delay, Masters of the Universe has a projected release date of Dec.18, 2019. It will share its opening weekend, at the moment, with Star Wars: Episode IX and the film adaptation of the musical Wicked.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
John-Michael Bond is a tech reporter and culture writer for Daily Dot. A longtime cord-cutter and early adopter, he's an expert on streaming services (Hulu with Live TV), devices (Roku, Amazon Fire), and anime. A former staff writer for TUAW, he's knowledgeable on all things Apple and Android. You can also also find him regularly performing standup comedy in Los Angeles.