- Slack’s users roast the app’s new logo 4 Months Ago
- What I’ve learned after 100 hours on Sling TV 4 Months Ago
- Korean action thriller ‘Revenger’ fights its way through mediocrity 4 Months Ago
- Everything you need to know about the Women’s March 2019 controversies Today 6:30 AM
- Everyone is choking Sasuke Uchiha in this ‘Naruto’ anime meme Today 6:30 AM
- Right-wing petition wants Rashida Tlaib impeached—here’s why that won’t happen Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ season 2 for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Supernatural’ online for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles’ online free Today 5:00 AM
- The trailer for the final episodes of ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ is here Today 1:52 AM
- Guy gets roasted for throwing razor in the toilet to protest Gillette Wednesday 9:23 PM
- Experts warn of uptick in ‘Ryuk’ ransomware after hackers net $3.7 million Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Video game composer boycotts Gillette after anti-toxic masculinity ad Wednesday 6:05 PM
- Steve Carell sitcom ‘Space Force’ heading to Netflix Wednesday 5:30 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘run train’ phrase becomes conservative sex controversy Wednesday 5:25 PM
‘The Rider’ director goes from indie acclaim to tentpole series.
For as much joy marginalized people have found in heroes like Black Panther, or the recently revealed Captain Marvel, Marvel Studios is still catching up when it comes to representation behind the camera. With a recently announced hire, Marvel is taking another big step toward realizing that balance.
IndieWire reports that The Rider director Chloé Zhao has been named director of Marvel’s The Eternals. Zhao, an Asian-American woman, joins Anna Boden (who’s co-directing Captain Marvel alongside Ryan Fleck) and Cate Shortland, who will direct the upcoming Black Widow film.
The Eternals follows Marvel’s recent swing into more extraterrestrial films like Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy. The Eternals are described as a separate race of humanity created by the mysterious alien Celestials, who hoped the Eternals would defend Earth from their offshoots, the Deviants.
Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said The Eternals will focus on the character Sersi, an Eternal who decided to live among normal humans and spent thousands of years meeting some of history’s greatest figures, like the poet Homer and Captain America. Of course, in the years since her 1963 debut by Jack Kirby, Sersi has undergone plenty of character changes, so it’s anyone’s guess what the plot will entail.
Zhao is an interesting pick for Marvel considering her last film, 2017’s The Rider, is an independent American drama about a bronco rider battling a seizure condition and struggling to keep his family and friends afloat.
The film premiered at Sundance and was nominated for four Independent Spirit Awards, including best feature and best director, and grossed just over $3 million at the box office.
Wow Chloe Zhao just went from her second feature The Rider to directing Marvel's The Eternals 👏 make your indie 👏 do the thing https://t.co/QqVQsOF0Sj
— jen yamato (@jenyamato) September 21, 2018
The Eternals does not yet have a release date, but it will likely be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Phase Four. It will be Zhao’s third feature film.
All 20 previous Marvel films have been directed by men.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.