- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
For as much joy marginalized people have found in heroes like Black Panther, or the recently revealed Captain Marvel, Marvel Studios is still catching up when it comes to representation behind the camera. With a recently announced hire, Marvel is taking another big step toward realizing that balance.
IndieWire reports that The Rider director Chloé Zhao has been named director of Marvel’s The Eternals. Zhao, an Asian-American woman, joins Anna Boden (who’s co-directing Captain Marvel alongside Ryan Fleck) and Cate Shortland, who will direct the upcoming Black Widow film.
The Eternals follows Marvel’s recent swing into more extraterrestrial films like Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy. The Eternals are described as a separate race of humanity created by the mysterious alien Celestials, who hoped the Eternals would defend Earth from their offshoots, the Deviants.
Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said The Eternals will focus on the character Sersi, an Eternal who decided to live among normal humans and spent thousands of years meeting some of history’s greatest figures, like the poet Homer and Captain America. Of course, in the years since her 1963 debut by Jack Kirby, Sersi has undergone plenty of character changes, so it’s anyone’s guess what the plot will entail.
Zhao is an interesting pick for Marvel considering her last film, 2017’s The Rider, is an independent American drama about a bronco rider battling a seizure condition and struggling to keep his family and friends afloat.
The film premiered at Sundance and was nominated for four Independent Spirit Awards, including best feature and best director, and grossed just over $3 million at the box office.
Wow Chloe Zhao just went from her second feature The Rider to directing Marvel's The Eternals 👏 make your indie 👏 do the thing https://t.co/QqVQsOF0Sj— jen yamato (@jenyamato) September 21, 2018
The Eternals does not yet have a release date, but it will likely be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Phase Four. It will be Zhao’s third feature film.
All 20 previous Marvel films have been directed by men.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.