- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Maisie Williams is up to star in zombie chiller adaptation ‘The Forest of Hands and Teeth’
Bring on the zombie babies.
The Game of Thrones star is negotiating for the lead role in the new production, helmed by British actress Kate Maberly, who’ll be writing and directing her first feature film.
The Forest of Hands and Teeth is a bestselling 2009 Young Adult horror novel, the first in a series by author Carrie Ryan. Set in a post-apocalyptic future, the concept is an attention-grabber: 28 Days Later meets The Village.
100 years after the zombie apocalypse, the world as our heroine Mary knows it is completely isolated. She’s only experienced life in her walled-off colonial village, linked only to the outside world by a mysterious fenced-in corridor meant to shelter travelers from the flesh-eating population in the woods outside, known as the Unconsecrated. Mary has often dreamed of knowing if the long corridor leads to the ocean, and leaving the safety of the village for something new. The arrival of an outsider named Gabrielle brings change and terror to her town, and forces her to make a life-altering choice about whether to venture into the forest of hands and teeth.
Ryan’s book is full of memorable imagery, characters, and moments of spine-chilling horror. You’ll come for the concept, you’ll stay for the zombie baby.
Naturally we’re excited that Williams will be tackling the main character. Depending on who’s up for the role of Gabrielle, The Forest of Hands and Teeth could be a pretty kickass girl-centric film to look forward to. And did we mention the zombie baby?
There’s no word on when the film will be entering production, so you have time to prepare for the excitement of seeing Arya Stark battling zombies on screen. In the meantime, here are a few fan films of the book to give you a taste of what’s to come. (Zombie baby!)
Illustration by gracelingfate/deviantART (CC BY ND 3.0)
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.